2 Star Lounger
    Lanarkshire, Scotland

Word 2000 security (9.0.2720)

I have just read an article in a pc magazine relating to Word's security checking for macros, which allows hackers to infiltrate the pc. I went for the patch to, but as a relative newcomer was a bit baffled. I checked and found that the SR1 and SR-1A was not on the system (Office 2000 small business installed). Woody's book suggests that patches should not be used to update and that the latest cd should be installed. This option is not possible. What alternative procedure should I follow to correct this problem in simple terms to a beginner?
    Thanks for any help.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Word 2000 security (9.0.2720)

We used a patch CD and the online patch for Office 2000 SR-1(a) and both seemed to work okay. It's very difficult to find a retail Office 2000 SR-1 even if you wanted to spend the money. The patch is here:

<A target="_blank" HREF=>Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a) Update - Download Details for English</A>

You probably know that after SR-1 came Service Pack 2, and while you are at MS, you may be encouraged to install it. SP2 disables access to certain attachments in Outlook, and cannot be uninstalled, so unless you want that extra layer of security and hassle, you probably should skip SP2.