Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to Add a Blog to New WordPress Site

I've been all over looking for an answer to this and suddenly thought, "I wonder if wonderful WOPR has a place for such non-Windows questions?" To my great delight, searching "blog" in Other Applications did result in some hits, so here I am with my question ...

Background:
    We've developed a new, not yet launched web site using WordPress. Now want to add a blog to it. Because we didn't put the site together ourselves, I'm only partially familiar with WordPress (i.e., I can edit text on pages). I understand WordPress was first developed as a blog creation platform, but am not quite sure how to add a blog to the existing site. I tried just posting an entry on the Dashboard, but preview brought the post up on a page that matched the others on the site exactly, with the tabs, formatting, etc. This isn't what it should look like, as it is not exactly a "topic" page, like FAQ, Home, Buy and the others.

I also understand a blog is a site itself, but not how to create or connect it so it looks like a related blog and not another site page. Other research talked about "subdomains", but then got more technical than I could follow!

Any suggestions, ideas, non-technical articles greatly appreciate, as always!

UPDATE: Decided to check out our hosting provider which offers WordPress as well. Clicked the WordPress link on provider's site and it took me to a page that had a very simple way to add a "new install", using "/blog" after our site URL. Being much braver than I used to be, thanks to this Lounge, I held my breath, clicked Install and in about 2 minutes, a blog URL + admin access info showed up! It's now listed as a second WP installation and has a totally different look. Actually, I now have to see how to customize the look to match our site thematically. Thought I'd leave my original question up and my solution in case it might help someone else AND in case there are other good options to do what I'd asked! Will still need to figure out how this site is linked to the main site and all that, but am excited to have got this far!

Thanks,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-11-07 at 16:28. Reason: Found a solution; want to see if there are others.

Thanks
    It probably would be simpler to manage all your content in a single install, but I don't know how easy that would be in this case.

Do you currently create "pages" or "posts"? For blogs, you definitely want to create "posts" while for static pages that don't have a chronological nature, "pages" might work best.

(I experimented with the "multisite" feature and found it very confusing. It's also strange to have to install and update things multiple times. Hopefully I will be able to undo the experiment without losing everything.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    It probably would be simpler to manage all your content in a single install, but I don't know how easy that would be in this case.

Do you currently create "pages" or "posts"? For blogs, you definitely want to create "posts" while for static pages that don't have a chronological nature, "pages" might work best.

(I experimented with the "multisite" feature and found it very confusing. It's also strange to have to install and update things multiple times. Hopefully I will be able to undo the experiment without losing everything.)
    Not sure what you mean by "singe install".

The web site uses "pages"; the blog is, I assume, "posts". So far, I've just got the Sample post posted.

First, sure hope you could undo with no issues! Secondly, I'm not sure of the "multisite" feature. Is that what I set up by creating a "new" install with /blog after .com?

As you can tell, I am very much a novice with both WordPress and blogging. I think you are suggesting that I should try to set things up differently than I did. Am I correct?

Thanks for your help, jscher!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-11-08 at 08:36.

Thanks
    You have two Wordpress installations, not a multisite or "network," so no problem there. (Regarding my multisite(s), it's not urgent. They seem to run, but are hard to administer.)

On your main Wordpress installation, you could create a few posts to see whether it will make sense to run the blog off that installation. Since it is a live site, you might want to make those posts hard to find while you experiment. You can assign the post to a "TestMyBlog111108" category and then use a plugin to hide that category so the posts do not appear in the usual places: http://ryowebsite.com/wp-plugins/category-visibility/. Anyone can still access these posts by guessing the category name, but most will not find it easily. You can use its permalink to view it as you tweak the appearance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Terrific information. Appreciate the clarification on what I have in WordPress. Thanks so much for the positive idea for testing the blog and the straightforward directions on how to implement it. I will try it all out over the next day or two and post back with results. Although the site is live, it's really not: it's just "there", awaiting final beta testing being done now before marketing it.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Well, I think I'm going to have to get more familiar with WordPress and how to use it for blogs before trying out the plugin in jscher's link. It was just a bit over my head! Plan to ask our site developer/intern how he saw a blog being integrated - as part of main site or as second installbefore. Looks as if we can write content and save as Drafts; then, post once we know where to do so!

Will take me a little longer to post back, but will do so in case info aids another newbie blogger/Lounger.

Until then ...

Linda