Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

GS Service-What Is It For

Hi,

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

I noticed recently that GSService has been added to the list of services on my computer. The only information shown in Services is that it depends on DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Manager, and that it has no dependencies.

Does anyone know what this service is for?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Google (worth a prior look, perhaps?!) says that it could be Active Directory Domain Service, or related to PC Tools Disk Suite. Or possibly something else.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BATcher,

I tried Google but got no relevant results. I have never used PC Tools Disk Suite. Active Directory Domain Service is not, as I understand it following a Google search, applicable to me. (It is not in my list of Services).

Do you, or does anyone else, have any other ideas?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2011-11-09 at 05:23.

Thanks
    Look closely at the services properties and root folder location. If you can identify an actice process associated with the service, you may be able to track it's usage via Process Explorer.
    You may also try disabling the process to see if anything associated with it complains. Look in the event viewer under "Administrative Events".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hi,

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

I noticed recently that GSService has been added to the list of services on my computer. The only information shown in Services is that it depends on DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Manager, and that it has no dependencies.

Does anyone know what this service is for?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    Roy and all...

I too noticed the GS Service in the Win 7 Pro Services list. As far as I have checked, if you or we have an Nvidia graphics card or motherboard chipset in our systems -- for example, I have a trusted GT-9800 1MB Nvidia based video card in my ASUS Win 7 Pro desktop -- you will likely find that the GS Service belongs to Nvidia and is used in the operations RE that video card maker.

In my C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder, I see the GSService.exe that in my case consumes 247K file size.

In inspecting GSService.exe with UltraEdit, I can see one VERY vague reference to graphics, but so far no copyright or file innards that "ID" GSService.exe to be used or supplied by Nvidia.

Additionally, other Nvidia users and tech users seem to support that GSService.exe is used or accessed by Nvidia for the graphics cards/chip-sets.

UPDATE: Super Moderator also reports that it may be linked to one or more graphics softwares such as Rip Tiger and XN View. -- see below message. Thus, if or when one un-installs Rip Tiger or XN View apps, GSService may also vanish off the systems.

Hope this helps...

Joe
    Knoxville, TN
    Last edited by josephrot; 2012-08-19 at 08:18.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Here is another posibility.

FWIW: I have an NVidia GC and the file is NOT on my system or in my Services list.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-08-19 at 08:09.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Interesting, indeed ! Looking at http://systemexplorer.net/filereviews.php?fid=124708 is a good read.

Thank you for the heads-up...

In my case, I am running Rip Tiger as a test, and at least in my system, GSService.exe is linked to Rip Tiger.

At least here, GSService.exe appears to be in use by Rip Tiger...

Also possible use by other makers, as Internet searches seem to say that it shows up somewhat often in many a Win / Win 7 system.

Joe
    Knoxville, TN
    Last edited by josephrot; 2012-08-19 at 08:30.