New Lounger
    Thanks

Sales tax issue in Word 2003 table

Hi all,

I have this invoice form, I've tested in excel and it works there. What I've tried is =if(subtotal<1000,subtotal*.0825,0). if the subtotal amount is below $1000 calc taxes, it above $1000 no taxes. subtotal is bookmark.

Thanks

Robert

Thanks
    It's difficult to copy and paste field codes in a post and match the original precisely. There is a Word macro that can help in this thread: Field codes to text or string to allow posting - repost from macropod.

In any event, my main question is whether your REF field is working, i.e., if you use {REF subtotal}, does the subtotal amount display as expected?

Field codes: Ref field - Word - Office.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the bookmark "subtotal" is from the same document.

This is invoice that calculates coin purchases, if customer orders over $1,000 there's no sales tax.

Thanks
    I guess my post wasn't very clear. When you wrote:

Code:
    =if(subtotal<1000,subtotal*.0825,0)
    I assumed that some of the tags had gotten lost. If you toggle the display of field codes (press Alt+F9 once or twice) I would expect it to look more like this:

Code:
    { =if({ REF subtotal }<1000, { REF subtotal } * 0.0825, 0) }
    (Note: the curly braces are the ones you create using Insert>Field or Ctrl+F9.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    NO

I see { =if(subtotal>1000, subtotal*.0825,0) }

New Lounger
    Thanks
    www.rcrawford.biz/test-invoice/invoice-test.doc

This is a word 2003 document.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by webguytx View Post
    I see { =if(subtotal>1000, subtotal*.0825,0) }
    Word views the word subtotal as a string, not a reference to a bookmark or named range. Insert the REF fields as described above.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You should also be able to use:
    {IF subtotal > 1000 {=subtotal*0.0825} 0}
    where the field braces (ie '{}') are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I say to myself I should keep out of this, but here goes: 1) obvious logic flaw: what happens when the purchase is exactly $1000? 2) is there tax on amount less than or equal to $1000, AND not tax ONLY on amount greater than $1000? 3) webguytx writes: "I see { =if(subtotal>1000, subtotal*.0825,0) }". Huh? If true it computes new subtotal? cheers!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lesle View Post
    I say to myself I should keep out of this, but here goes: 1) obvious logic flaw: what happens when the purchase is exactly $1000? 2) is there tax on amount less than or equal to $1000, AND not tax ONLY on amount greater than $1000? 3) webguytx writes: "I see { =if(subtotal>1000, subtotal*.0825,0) }". Huh? If true it computes new subtotal? cheers!
    Hi lesle,

Depending on the context, tax may only be payable if the value exceeds $1000. That doesn't constitute a logic flaw. Of course, there may be one, but we don't yet have enough information to conclude that there is one

As for the 'new subtotal' question, you'd have to use 'subtotal*1.0825' for that, not 'subtotal*.0825'. The proposed formula gives a tax component that, when added to a sub-total, might give the grand total.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Hi lesle, Depending on the context, tax may only be payable if the value exceeds $1000. That doesn't constitute a logic flaw. Of course, there may be one, but we don't yet have enough information to conclude that there is one As for the 'new subtotal' question, you'd have to use 'subtotal*1.0825' for that, not 'subtotal*.0825'. The proposed formula gives a tax component that, when added to a sub-total, might give the grand total.
    Sorry, Macropod, I obviously was too brief here. What I mean is that if the amount is exactly $1000, what should be done? Remember, AS STATED, "if the subtotal amount is below $1000 calc taxes, it above $1000 no taxes." Exactly $1000 is undefined. Your interpretation makes sense and may well be correct, but we can't know that from what is stated. Thanks for the reply, kind regards, lesle
    Last edited by lesle; 2011-11-18 at 21:03.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lesle View Post
    What I mean is that if the amount is exactly $1000, what should be done? Remember, AS STATED, "if the subtotal amount is below $1000 calc taxes, it above $1000 no taxes." Exactly $1000 is undefined. Your interpretation makes sense and may well be correct, but we can't know that from what is stated.
    I understood the original question to be about implementing a stated equation using Word's field codes. The equation as set forth in the post means $1000 or more, no sales taxes. Perhaps the narrative description was simplified a bit, but none of us questioned whether the equation gave the intended result, we simply used it as our starting point.