New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Microsoft Security Essentials forgets it recently scanned

Recently my Microsoft Security Essentials kept telling me to run a scan every time I booted up.....finally , I uninstalled it and installed avg free edition....avg found a Trojan and got rid of it....after about a week...I uninstalled avg and installed MSE again.....

Same thing....now I'm back with AVG

I've ran every scan I can think of and they all say I don't have anything

Why is MSE messing up....

Also , Thunderbird says AVG isn't compatible....but AVG says it is scanning my e-mail

Thank you

Wm. D. Christian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    forgot to say that I'm using windows 7

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello Wmdchristain, welcome to the Lounge.

MSE does not have a setting to force a scan at boot up, so perhaps there is something else wrong. It can and will prompt for a scan if it has not performed one in a while. It might also prompt for a scan after a positive detection by the real-time monitor. Perhaps that is what the issue is? Can you take a screen grab of the prompt and post it back so we can check?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx...

I'm currently using AVG

What mse said was you haven't run a scan in some time...although I did....sometimes it would alert me to run a scan 30 minutes after a scan was run showing no threat...

wmdchristian

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hmmm....rather odd. I've not seen it do that before: it sounds like a corruption of the scheduler rather then MSE itself.

If you wanted to stay on MSE, open the Task Scheduler (type "scheduler" into the Find Programs and Files dialog box from the Start Menu), select the Microsoft AntiMalware entry ( Task Schedule Library>Microsoft>Microsoft AntiMalware) and then select Properties from the right hand pane. This should allow you to edit the Triggers tab and perhaps resolve any corruption.

Having said all that, even though I don't use it myself, AVG Free should do you a decent job anyway.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx...again

I've a friend that works on computers....he said he's never seen this before

I'll just keep AVG for now.....

wmdchristian

Thanks
    From Microsoft answers:
    Are you using CCleaner? Piriform has programmed it for some reason to remove part of the MSE History files and it's deleting the files MSE checks to determine the last time a scan was conducted.
    Open CCleaner Applications Tab, Under Windows uncheck MS Antimalware...that should prevent CCleaner from deleting the MS Antimalware scanning history files. The actions of CCleaner have no effect on the antimalware protection provided by MSE.
    Per suggestion of MSE User MartinHampton you may also need to uncheck MS Management Console.
    You will need to run a "Quick Scan" to re-establish a scan history.
    If you are not using CCleaner, see this thread for other alternatives to resolve this problem to include contacting MSE Support if necessary: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/why-after-a-couple-of-days-after-a-scan-does-my/0dc5b433-28ec-4180-a8ee-26a6cd10c3ab

J
    erry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cyberdiva (2011-11-12),flippertie (2013-01-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx.......

Yes.....

I do use C-Cleaner.....I'll try that

wmdchristian

New Lounger
    Thanks

did it....

I went into CCleaner and unchecked the MS Antimalware and MS Management Console...

I see what happens......

Thanx for the info...

wmdchristian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSE useful but it is a nudge

I ran a complete scan of my disk with MSE. In its report it said that no threats were found, and in the next sentence it said that I had not run a scan for some time and therefore should run a quick scan. Go figure. That is annoying, but I have found it so much less annoying than other antivirus programs that I can put up with the nudging. Besides, it is free.

New Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner

Going into CCleaner and unchecking the MS Antimaleware and MS Management Console under Applications has worked for me

wmdchristian

Thanks
    Glad to hear it worked. CCleaner is a good app but it can get overzealous if not set up right.

Jerry

Thanks
    Some logs are necessary just so an app realizes it has run. This is one such situation. Glad you solved your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy