Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Files deleted from computer deleted from external HD

Help! I've just been cleaning out a laptop and moving files from it to newer PC. Once in PC, I deleted them from laptop, confident that a second "back up" was on the external hard disk drive attached to the laptop just in case. I've just now gone in to check the documents on the external drive and discovered that only a few were there!

A couple of connected questions and more background:

The PC is backed up in the cloud with Mozy as well as via image backups on the same external drive. I plan to switch the external drive to the PC to provide "on site" backup as well as Mozy. The external drive is a Maxtor 500 GB (210 free) and I used its software to do the backups and any restores.
    1. Does the external drive delete files from itself when I delete them from the computer?
    2. If so, how do I prevent this in the future?
    3. Should I just re-backup all the missing laptop files onto the external drive from the PC? Don't really need them back on the laptop as I was trying to clean them out.
    4. Should I delete the few files that didn't get deleted from the external drive before re-backing up?
    5. Do I need a second external hard drive as this one is almost half full?\

Guess I should have read more of the manual! Any Lounger assistance appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

That's a load of questions.

1. Unless you were using syncronization software the files should NOT have been deleted from the external drive. Personally, I stay away from software that comes with external drives and use either Acronis 2010 {paid} or Macrium Reflect Free do do my image backups. For just doing daily backups of data files I use RoboCopy {free from MS}.

2. See 1 above

3. That's what I'd do.

4. It would save you answering a bunch of overwrite prompts.

5. That depends on how many copies of Images you have on it. If you have more than 3 full Images I'd say that is overkill and you should be able to safely delete the older ones. Then again drives are very cheap insurance and It's not a bad idea to rotate images between drives so should your pc & 1 external drive go at the same time you still have a good backup. Chances of all 3 going at the same time, unless the house burns down, are pretty remote. Of course if the data is critical rotating one of the external drives off-site is a good idea.

Good Luck
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Retired but Very Knowledgeable and Helpful Geek,

Yes, I guess I asked too many questions (sorry!), but you sure did answer them for me. Thank you!

I don't know if I was synchronized or not, but it sounds like I must have been. We non-techie types get ourselves into so much trouble not knowing all we should know before proceeding! I had heard of Macrium Reflect here, in the Lounge, but hadn't realized that you could use it instead of the software that came with the drive.

From your response, it sounds as if you use an external drive just for image backups and RoboCopy for your data files. I did a little reading about RoboCopy since it is new to me. Do you use it to back up your data to the internal disk in the PC? Or does it back up to the external drive, too?

I liked your suggestion about getting rid of older image backups (they are what's been filling up my external drive) and also using a second external back up for additional security.

Right now, I plan to follow your instructions as per your answers. Think I might even see if I can figure out how to use the Macrium program and not the Maxtor one.

Again, many thanks for your time and ALL your answers.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    1. Should I just re-backup all the missing laptop files onto the external drive from the PC? Don't really need them back on the laptop as I was trying to clean them out.
    Linda,
    Hello... There is a free program that you can "copy" files\folders much faster than going through the "Image" thing, or windows copy ...It's called TeraCopy Just Drag and Drop the file or folder you want copied... then, browse to your drive of choice where you want them copied or moved... check it out .. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-14 at 20:18.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    From your response, it sounds as if you use an external drive just for image backups and RoboCopy for your data files. I did a little reading about RoboCopy since it is new to me. Do you use it to back up your data to the internal disk in the PC? Or does it back up to the external drive, too?
    Linda,

You are correct. I actually use Acronis 2010 do do my Image backups to an external WD My Passport drive. Although, I have experimented with Macrium Reflect and may move to it on my next round of upgrades, since Free is always better when you're on a fixed income.

As for RoboCopy I use it to keep a copy of my Documents folder updated on a second internal drive. I have a shortcut on my desktop that I just click at the end of the day and it mirrors any changes to the second internal drive, no muss no fuss and it's fast since it only deals with things that have changed.
    Here's a copy of the command file {databackupv2.cmd} with the RoboForm command line and appropriate switches.

Echo Off
    REM Updated: 10/27/10
    Echo. -------- Copying BEKDocs to V: drive -------
    Robocopy "G:\BEKDocs" "V:\BEKDocs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG:RoboCopy.log
    Echo. -------- Copy Completed -------
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    An update: ended up downloading TeraCopy as it looked easier to use for someone with limited technical skills. Also was impressed with its review in CNet.

Just to confirm: this program will help me to back up my data; however, I also need to do image backups on a fairly regular basis as well. Have I got that right? I also understand that I can delete older images in order to free up disk space. Should I always keep the original one, as it was closest to "just out of the box"? Or is that important?

Thanks for all your help in here. It's very much appreciated!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    An update: ended up downloading TeraCopy

Just to confirm: this program will help me to back up my data Have I got that right? I also understand that I can delete older images in order to free up disk space. Should I always keep the original one, as it was closest to "just out of the box"? Or is that important?
    Linda,
    Hello... "TeraCopy" is just that ...It's a program that lets you move or copy files \ folders one place to another.... Just like copy and paste etc. in windows ... It just does it a whole lot faster, (especially if they are large ) and you can have it verify what you have moved.

As far as the "just out of the box" .... Yes... Keep that one and then a few of your newest ones ( depends on your "paranoia level" ) Me i have em "goin back years" But my "doc" says that I'm making progress... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification, Fred, as well as the advice on what to keep. My external hard drive continues to be a puzzle to me. I was going through its contents in preparation for copying all the files that had gone missing from it when I was cleaning them off the laptop. To my great surprise (and delight), I found them all again! I do not understand at all what happened. I did get an error message that there were corrupted files on the disk when I hooked it up and I okayed a fix. Do you think that's what allowed me to see all the missing data?

Regardless of the reason, I'm glad to have them back. Saves me time. I just have to see if I have to configure the thing now that it's on a different machine.

You can see how challenging this stuff can be when one is possessed of only a little knowledge!!

Linda

P.S. Good luck with treating your paranoia! I tend to have the same issue: as soon as you delete it, you know you'll need it - whatever "it" might be!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Me, again. I'm back into this blasted external drive and I can't figure it out at all: what's there, how it's stored, etc. What I'd like to do is wipe it clean of all the current data from the laptop, saving the image backups, however; then, replace it with the complete data, which is now on the PC's C drive (I did check: the data files are all there).

Then, perhaps I should use one of the earlier recommended free back up programs to do the backup. From what I've heard here, that could work better than the program that came with this Maxtor unit.

Am I on the right track? Or should I just figure out how to get the drive working with the PC and back up everything on top of what's there (which is proving hard to figure out today!). Sorry if I sound all over the place on this, but I guess I am trying to get this right to move forward as "cleanly" and "safely" as possible.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Then, perhaps I should use one of the earlier recommended free back up programs to do the backup. From what I've heard here, that could work better than the program that came with this Maxtor unit.

Am I on the right track?
    Linda,
    Hello... I'm not at all familiar with "Maxtor" imaging programs, but this sounds suspicious... If your "external HD" is doing the disappearing data thing ... could be as simple as a bad cable,Dock, or the HD is going "belly up". I would Open an "Administrator Command Prompt" and input "Chkdsk (your external HD letter D: etc.) /R"...Looks like this only with your drive letter............ "Chkdsk D:/R" (No quotes) This will locate any bad sectors, and repair...Might take a while. Personally i do not trust HD's with pre installed "Imaging" software.. Yes.... i would use a 3rd party program....Macrium Reflect...but stick at Version 4.2.3638. If after running the "Chkdsk" and if it is OK ... try to find what the problem could be ...loose cable , etc...Post back with results Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great idea. I'm going to do that and post results once I have. Maxtor was Seagate (or vice versa - I can never keep up!) Thanks for the suggestion and your usual clear and helpful instructions!

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Chkdsk Results

Here's an update: I did the checkdisk and its results stymied me as to what to do next. I've attached a screenshot of the results, hoping they'll make better sense to you!

The drive is barely a year old. It's 500 GB in size. Should I delete more files to free up the space chkdsk says it's short?

Will wait to hear back before going any further. Realize Thanksgiving is coming up so there's no rush!

Thanks for any further light you can shed!!

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda ,
    Try the Chkdsk again this time ..Use the F and B switch.."Chkdsk (your HD) /F /B" Example .... "Chkdsk D: /F /B" (no quotes) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. That sounds do-able. Will post back ...

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. That sounds do-able. Just noticed from your screenshot what the F and B stand for. AHA! Will post back ...

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast