5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can Windows 7's XP Mode be uninstalled?

LANGALIST PLUS

Can Windows 7's XP Mode be uninstalled?

By Fred Langa

Based on the feedback we've received, many Windows Secrets readers have switched to Windows 7 but retain a keen interest in Windows XP.

Now that I've thoroughly covered how to set up and use Windows 7's XP Mode, it's time for the final chapter removing it.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/Can-Windows-7-s-XP Mode-be-uninstalled/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    In control panel/programs and features, right click on Windows XP Mode and there is uninstall.

I haven't tried it because I need mine, but that looks promising.

Jock

Oops - didn't notice which forum this was in & hadn't read today's newsletter yet.
    Pls disregard.
    Last edited by jockmullin; 2011-11-10 at 16:07. Reason: D'oh

Thanks

Printer Drivers For Windows 7

Even though a printer driver says it's for Vista, those drivers often will work just fine in Windows 7. XP Drivers will not work this way, as noted in the article. Epson for a long time had lots of "Vista" drivers for its printers (including my CX3800 series all-in-one). These drivers work just as well in Windows 7.

Of course, HP printer drivers are notoriously fussy, so there's a good chance that any driver update for older HP printers will not work in Windows 7, even if the driver is supposedly for Windows 7. And their scanners almost never have driver updates available.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Using newer drivers on older hardware

The person with the HP printer problem could consider using an old PC to run XP. Attach the printer to that PC (with XP drivers) and
    then share that printer as a network printer.