Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Uninstalling then reinstalling Office Home Premium 2007 from CD

I need some advice badly. I am running a Dell high capacity desktop PC currently on 64-bit Windows7 Home Premium SP1, but be aware also that it was originally Vista until upgraded. I am likewise using MS OfficeSmall Business 2007, likewise with all of the latest upgrades and service packsup to date.

About 18 or so months ago, at which time I was still running on Vista, I also had a very useful little tool installed called Avery Wizard 3.1.5 which installs itself as an add-in to MS Word. It worked fine and all was well with everything until I tried to upgrade Avery Wizard not too long after also upgrading my o/s to Windows 7. Ever since then, Avery Wizard has refused to fully install in MS Word, and that is an absolute requirement for it to function. I have been working with their tech support on the issue, and I am now told by their Chief Engineer himself that they "suspect that the issue might be caused by the conversion process from Vista to Windows 7," and further they ask "Would it be possible for you to reinstall Office?" In short, they are now suggesting that I do a total uninstall of the entire MS Office suite as well as their own software, then reinstall both from the CD.

Obviously, I can do this, but the first question that immediatelycomes to mind is what is the risk of removing then reinstalling the MS Office Small Business 2007, such as all ofmy optional settings mostly in MS Word and Outlook? Will they all have to be reconstructed when I reinstall? I can backup my Outlook.pst file, but can I reinstall it or put it back in the same directory without losing the contents including a few hundred "rules" for 500 or so folders I have created over the years?

Has anyone out there had any experience at this sort of thing, and can you advise me on any of this and what I will have after total uninstall then reinstall of Office Home Premium 2007, and most especially the Outlook 2007 component of it? I would like to then reinstall Avery Wizard into a "clean installation" of MS Office, but Avery Wizard is at best a handy little tool that I would like to use again, but I will do without it before I will knowingly risk something as important to me as MS Word and Outlook, and most especially the latter. I hope I have stated the situation properly, and I sincerely request any help or suggestions available out there. Please help me.
    Last edited by decann; 2011-11-09 at 19:20.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Hi,

One thing that can protect you in any case and that you should always do, is to create a full system image, on an additional drive (internal or external), so use as a fallback point, in case things go wrong.

I must confess I don't know what happens with Office 2007. I know that with Office 2010, when I removed the beta and installed the RTM all settings are kept. This applies basically to Outlook 2010, as I didn't really have Word customizations. Anyway, this page shows where each relevant file for Outlook is stored, so if you do create that backup, you can always restore the appropriate files to the proper folders.

Can't help much about Word, but this article can provide help too, in terms of restoring customizations.

The system backup is very important, so I would like to restate the importance of doing it before you start anything. With an app such as Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, even EaseUS Todo Backup, the image created can be mounted and allow you to retrieve any file you may need.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-09 at 19:31.

Thanks
    This sounds like another one of those cases where the Upgrade seems to have caused a problem. For others reading this thread who are considering this same senario, I have read of many more problems going the Upgrade route versus the clean install route for Win 7. Yes the apps all have to be reinstalled as well, but this gives a much cleaner OS in the end.

As Rui states, create an Image before doing anything. I have had to reinstall Office in the past (I do not remember the exact details of the reason for the reinstall) but in my case the reinstall retained any customizations etc that I had in place. YMMV. Each installation is different. We do not know what the upgrade did to cause your problems so it is dificult to state with certainty that this will work for you as well as it did for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib,

I'm not quite sure what you are meaning about creating "a full system image" or a "fallback point," but do you mean a "System Restore Point" as is part of Windows? If so, that goes without saying before I start, as well as saving my Outlook.pst file on a flash drive, but if this is not what you are referring to then please explain. I am not in any way a "techie" like so many other folks here, just an old retiree who has tried to learn what he can as he goes along, so please forgive me if I do not always completely understand. :-(

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    This sounds like another one of those cases where the Upgrade seems to have caused a problem. For others reading this thread who are considering this same senario, I have read of many more problems going the Upgrade route versus the clean install route for Win 7. Yes the apps all have to be reinstalled as well, but this gives a much cleaner OS in the end.

As Rui states, create an Image before doing anything. I have had to reinstall Office in the past (I do not remember the exact details of the reason for the reinstall) but in my case the reinstall retained any customizations etc that I had in place. YMMV. Each installation is different. We do not know what the upgrade did to cause your problems so it is dificult to state with certainty that this will work for you as well as it did for me.
    Ted, as I asked ruirib, what do you mean by "create an image" and how do you do it, unless you mean creating a restore point using System Restore in Windows 7? Also, I understand there is never any guarantee, but can I reasonably expect that after uninstalling and then reinstalling Office 2007 that my previous settings and my Outlook.pst file will still be there. . . . even though I'll save the Outlook.pst file anyway just because I feel better doing so.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Read about Imaging in the Security and Backups forum.

Imaging is creating an exact "photo" for lack of a better word, of your entire system that is stored as a single file by whatever Imaging app you use. There are many excellent apps discussed in these forums.

In my case I recreate a new Image whenever I make a change to my system so that restoring my system from this Image gets me back to exactly where I was before the problem occured. I store my Images on an ext HD (You can not store the Image in the partition or drive you are Imaging) Others store them on separate drives or DVDs. The storage media does not make a difference. Just do it. Please read the threads in the link I included. Restoring from an Image takes about 10 minutes in my case, even if my OS is so bad it will not boot. Remember to create a bootable media with whatever app you use. You only need one bootable media no matter how many different Images you have.

To restore from an Image, pop in the bootable media (some apps call then Rescue disks) and reboot (You PC bios must be set to boot from disk if a disk is in the drive) Boot to the disk and start the app. Follow the directions to restore your Image.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-09 at 20:24.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am going to have to think about this, but in addition to confusing me with all this about "imaging" and such, nobody has yet to mention the answer to my original basic question. If I do uninstall Office Home Premium 2007, and then reinstall it, can I reasonably expect to find all of my settings still there in the new installation, not to mention my original Outlook.pst file still in working order? Without determining the answer to that question, none of the rest of this matters or will ever happen, or at least not by me.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I am going to have to think about this, but in addition to confusing me with all this about "imaging" and such, nobody has yet to mention the answer to my original basic question. If I do uninstall Office Home Premium 2007, and then reinstall it, can I reasonably expect to find all of my settings still there in the new installation, not to mention my original Outlook.pst file still in working order? Without determining the answer to that question, none of the rest of this matters or will ever happen, or at least not by me.
    Your pst file won't be affected by the reinstall. In my first post, I told you I could not guarantee that the settings will be kept. They might, but I guess only whoever has done a reinstall can state beyond doubt. I can state, however, that your pst file will still be there. It is also likely that all other files uses by Outlook will be there, same for files used by Word to configure stuff.
    In a worst case scenario, you can use the image created as a backup to retrieve the individual Office configuration files. The two links in my first post explains what files are involved both with Outlook and Word.

In summary, create an Image Backup, uninstall Office then reinstall it. If the settings are, for some reason, not kept, use the backup to recover the different files used by Outlook and Word, as the two articles I linked explain. Althouh I cannot guarantee, having not done the operation you are inquiring about, it's likely that all settings will be preserved, but even if they are not, the strategy we are recommending will ensure you will be able to recover your current configuration without a big effort.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more question here in the interest of not wanting to get myself into a problem in the middle of reinstalling. I am the licensed owner of a copy of MS Office Small Business 2007 with a three-user license. It is currently installed into three machines in my home LAN, two desktops and one laptop if that makes any difference with anything. Is this going to be if I try to REinstall it (technically a 4th time?) into one of the same desktops that it was originally installed in? My thought is that surely the software is smart enough to know when I try to reinstall it that it has already installed it in this machine before, and recognize it as one of the three and NOT a fourth installation won't it? I THINK I know the answer, but I don't know for sure and I don't want any problems knowing how strictly Microsoft is about their licensing rules.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have a problem activating Office, a call to Microsoft and an explanation about the reasons for the reinstall will be enough for them to activate your software again.

Thanks
    I have had to call MS twice with just this senario. Both times less than 5 minutes had my copy of Office activated. As both Rui and I have stated, no one can guarantee you will find all your settings intact. I stated in my experience, my settings were intact. YMMV!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    If the Avery tech is concerned that the upgrade from Vista to Win7 may be an issue why is he recommending uninstalling and reinstalling Office? Is he unable to give you instructions on completely uninstalling and reinstalling the Avery Wizard? Have you tried using the free version of Revo Uninstaller?

BTW, through the years I've upgraded dozens of machines with all kinds of different hardware and software installed without an issue. With older versions of Windows I generally agree that a clean install was the way to go. But with a Vista to Win7 upgrade I am not convinced of that. Microsoft has gone to great lengths to improve the upgrade process through the years. While this MAY be a case that a clean install would've been better it may also be the case the Avery has a bug of their own.

Your settings should survive an uninstall and reinstall of Office as long as you do NOT run an registry cleaning tools in between the uninstall and reinstall. Office settings are kept in the registry and in files. See How to backup Office 2007 settings for a free method to give you a little peace of mind. There are also some shareware tools listed in the search results at Backup office settings.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

trj57 (2011-12-01)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If the Avery tech is concerned that the upgrade from Vista to Win7 may be an issue why is he recommending uninstalling and reinstalling Office? Is he unable to give you instructions on completely uninstalling and reinstalling the Avery Wizard? Have you tried using the free version of Revo Uninstaller?

BTW, through the years I've upgraded dozens of machines with all kinds of different hardware and software installed without an issue. With older versions of Windows I generally agree that a clean install was the way to go. But with a Vista to Win7 upgrade I am not convinced of that. Microsoft has gone to great lengths to improve the upgrade process through the years. While this MAY be a case that a clean install would've been better it may also be the case the Avery has a bug of their own.

Your settings should survive an uninstall and reinstall of Office as long as you do NOT run an registry cleaning tools in between the uninstall and reinstall. Office settings are kept in the registry and in files. See How to backup Office 2007 settings for a free method to give you a little peace of mind. There are also some shareware tools listed in the search results at Backup office settings.

Joe
    Joe, my own personal opinion here (and note I am not a "techie" of any sort, just a user), was and remains that Avery Wizard does have a bug in it that is at least contributing to this problem, if not outright causing it. In all fairness, I have heard of more than a few similar situations of such things following other Vista to Win7 upgrades though, so the Engineer from Avery could be right at what he says also. In the end, we may never know. I am making progress with this though, and if you give me a few minutes to write it first you can read my following post for where I stand as of this morning.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I want to thank all of the folks who have been helping me deal with my paranoia and hesitation about the thought of uninstalling my Office Small Business 2007 and putting it back again, with or without losing my settings afterwards. Yesterday afternoon, I finally took all of the precautions that I know how to do (backups, saving, cleaning out the cashe, disabling AV software temporarily, etc.) and then I pushed the button to fully remove my installation and held my breath as I watched it slowly disappear on my monitor. Upon completion and a reboot, I then reinstalled it from my original CDs. Aside from the fact I like to have initially NEVER found where they hide the required registration number, once I did the entire process went very smoothly through completion. Now, after reinstalling close to 40 MS auto-updates (including 3 service pack for Office) I now have everything restored back to a "clean install" as the Avery Engineer suggested. I've not reinstalled Avery Wizard YET, I am waiting to hear from him now before I do, but Office is installed and that is my main concern. All options were "remembered" from the previous installation, my Outlook.pst file (which I copied to a flash drive for safety, leaving the original in place) was fully restord to functionality, and I my paranoia is now behind me.

In short, my thanks go out to all of you who helped me and tried to ease the concerns of this old geezer who is obviously an amateur at this. I will leave a "thank you" on all of your postings above as appropriate very soon, but I also thank you all here and now.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    David, I am glad the office removal and reinstall went well. Hope that fixes the issues with the Wizard, too .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast