Thanks

Windows 7 Restore

I "upgraded" from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on one PC six months ago with no problem but have noticed that it's not creating restore points like it should. I can create one manually but it does not create one when say "Patch Tuesday" occurs. I tried all the suggestions but none seem to make any difference. Whilst it's not a big issue, I run Acronis on all machines, but it is annoying that a useful device is not working

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you run sfc /scannow? Have you performed a chkdsk /f?

Thanks
    Don't know what you have tried but have you checked system protection in the advanced systems settings of control panel Systems. You should see a list of your drives and If protection is on or off.

Thanks
    Open task scheduler. (Start orb, type task, click on task scheduler).
    Double click task scheduler library, double click Microsoft, double click Windows
    Click on System restore and then the triggers tab

You should have two entries, one daily and one system startup.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the reply from coyote5.0 I checked (not for the first time) and protection is shown as on for all drives.However, regarding the instruction from jwitalka, there are no entries at all in the Windows Pane for system restore, or anything else for that matter.

I am not familiar with task scheduler, and would appreciate guidance as to how to set this up for system restore.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Roy, Did you expand the drop down under windows on the left side of the Task scheduler?

scheduler.JPG,
    Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Restore

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Roy, Did you expand the drop down under windows on the left side of the Task scheduler?

scheduler.JPG,
    Jerry
    Hi Jerry,

When I opened Task Scheduler by searching programs and files for task from the start orb, and then clicked Task Scheduler, and tried to expand the drop down menu under Windows on the left side nothing was displayed. When I tried again after seeing your last post Task Scheduler froze, and I had to 'End Task' with Task Manager. (This happened two or three times). When I opened Task Scheduler from Admin Tools a Task Scheduler window said "The selected task "0" no longer exists.(Whatever that means).To see the current tasks click refresh." I clicked ok and was able to expand the drop down menu under Windows. System Restore was set the way you described and the tasks were shown as having been carried out successfully today. However, the most recent restore point was shown as 11 November, not 14. Would this be because no system changes have been made since 11 November?

Your further comments would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    My most recent Restore point is Nov 12 triggered by a Windows Update I did. According to an answer in:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...e-5b17f0f25eb2

"System Restore in Windows 7 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days."

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks for all replies but tried them all and still no success.....I think this is caused by a bug when "upgrading" from XP to Win7 and not installing on a virgin disc! After reading other replies on other forums etc the answer could be a re-install on a clean disc but not keen on that because of all the work involved getting the PC back to the way I like it!!

Thanks
    I have heard of many more problems when upgrading, rather than using the custom install route. At this point you may have to live with this or to resolve this issue a reinstall of Win 7 (custom install) directly into the same partition. You will have to ask yourself if the gain is worth the time. Personally I use Imaging rather than system restore. This way I can restore my entire system, not just the Windows system files if something bad happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy