katorg

Creating fill-in forms in Word

I need to create a sales order template that will enable the salespeople to fill in fields. I have never done a fill-in form template before and was wondering if anyone knows of a good source for learning how. Or maybe there are already existing templates that I could modify?

Any ideas?

Karen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating fill-in forms in Word

Karen,

It's not too hard to create a fill-in form. This is the way I might do it:

Starting from a blank document
    .Show the forms toolbar (View, Toolbars, Forms)
    .Enter some on the non-fillin bits (prompots etc).
    .When you need a fill-in field, position your cursor, and click on the "ab" icon in the forms toolbar.
    .When you've done all that, click on the "Lock" icon in the forms toolbar.

That's the basics. You can also put in drop down fields and checkboxes. You can double click on any of the form fields to change properties- for instance, to add entries to a dropdown field or to only allow numeric input.

A warning- when you unlock a form, you will lose any data you've entered into form fields.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add 1 point to Geoff's suggestions. If you're going to have a form in which the user can unprotect & protect at will, then do this:
    1. Once the form is set up & BEFORE you protect it, select the document (Ctrl+A) & lock the fields (Ctrl+F11). That way, a user can still delete & change text in a field. BUT, if they unprotect & reprotect the field, at least they won't lost all the text in the text formfields (you still have to redo checkboxes & dropdowns).

If you don't need a "sophisticated" form & really are only looking for a way to navigate to different places on a form to "fill-in", there's an alternative.

You can insert a field using Ctrl+F9 for "braces" & use

{macrobutton nomacro "Your message goes here"}

You can sprinkle these around your form & press F11 to go from one to another. The advantage is that all your formatting & editing tools are available. The disadvantage is that users can modify the fixed portions of the form & use inconsistent formatting. The choice is yours.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-Creating fill-in forms in Word

My problem is so similar I thought this thread might be an appropriate place to post. I'm usually at a loss in Word and this is no exception.
    I have an existing form in WordPerfect which consists of two pages of tables. I have the document in Word and cleaned up. Can I lock individual cells so that the user can tab through the form stopping only where data is to be entered?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff:

Just wanted to respond to your warning about losing data in a form when you lock/unlock it. I ran across a little macro a few years ago that avoids that problem. I assign the macro to a button and use the button to lock and unlock the form. Works great for me.

Sub FormProtect()
    ''Replaces the Word's built-in ProtectForm command
    'with one that doesn't nuke form field contents
    If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType = wdNoProtection Then
    ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
    Else
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect
    End If

End Sub

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Carole,

Thanks for that. I would probably assign that macro to the "padlock" button on the forms toolbar.

I'll also warn about one little "feature" which is not quite as obvious.

Many of our users unprotect a form when they've finished entering data to spell check it. They will then print the document- but if the option under "Tools, Option, Print, Update Fields" is set, they also lose the data in their form fields. Ouch!

I've had to go along the lines of my own protect dialog. I tried using the built in dialog, but I don't have access to all fields, so I've had to write my own dialog from scratch (Because it's for 3,000 users, I can't rely on them to use a button). I'm also planning to customise the spell check button- using a macro from MVPS as a starting point- so that they don't have to unprotect the document in the first place. That macro doesn't spell check unprotected sections in a document though, so I've got a little work to do. I've also changed the Print command to protect the document before they print.

That's a lot of work for what I see as a fundamental flaw in the way forms work. If Microsoft[img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img] had left fields intact when the form was protected, or if they gave the option to "Protect and Keep" or "Protect and clear" life would have been SOOOO much easier. Grumble grumble.

Sorry about the hobby horse...
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin