3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I need some opinions, please!

I was going to build an HTPC and take advantage of the Black Friday pricing. With the flooding in Thailand I'm having second thoughts after looking at the prices of hard drives. Those prices will come down as the manufacturers bring the plants on-line again. The question is how long will that take.

Should I go ahead and take advantage of the better prices on the other parts and add the hard drives as the price come back to a more responsible level? I was going to buy a case with power supply, Blu-Ray drive new and motherboard and processor. I was going to use the motherboard and processor to upgrade my existing PC but not a necessity.

Thanks,

Marc

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    I was going to build an HTPC and take advantage of the Black Friday pricing. With the flooding in Thailand I'm having second thoughts after looking at the prices of hard drives.

Marc,
    I have just checked "Directron" Directron HD's and HD prices don't look much different then they did from my last purchase? Am i missing something? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought a WD20EARS for $79.99 at the beginning of March it's $139.99 on Directron.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    It's WD prices that are up. Their plants on Thailand's flood plain wer washed out and most of their hd prices have increases 50-100% particularly drives 1 TB and over and the Velociraptors. Most other manufacturers weren't affected. WD does have other sites which are keeping WD from going under but the supply is definately lower.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwills View Post
    Fred,
    It's WD prices that are up. Their plants on Thailand's flood plain wer washed out and most of their hd prices have increases 50-100% particularly drives 1 TB and over
    Gary,
    Hello... Thanks ...I also have just found this out as i wanted another Hitachi Deskstar 1TB /32MB 3.5" for a " Mirror experiment"... Guess I'll wait a bit and see how things shake out. as the price has doubled from what i have paid a few months ago. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Prices have started to ease a bit but are still significantly higher than before the floods. Some "experts" are saying it could be 2nd half next year before drive availability and therefore pricing returns to a normal pattern.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    I was going to build an HTPC and take advantage of the Black Friday pricing. With the flooding in Thailand I'm having second thoughts after looking at the prices of hard drives. Those prices will come down as the manufacturers bring the plants on-line again. The question is how long will that take.

Should I go ahead and take advantage of the better prices on the other parts and add the hard drives as the price come back to a more responsible level? I was going to buy a case with power supply, Blu-Ray drive new and motherboard and processor. I was going to use the motherboard and processor to upgrade my existing PC but not a necessity.

Thanks,

Marc
    Most definately, go ahead and take full advantage of whatever deals you can get from other parts. You should test those new parts, like motherboard and PSU to ensure that they are fully functional while you are waiting for drive prices to come down. The rational for testing is that potential problems can be identified early on, and an RMA can be effected as needed on a timely basis. Ensure that you at least have a basic warranty on all these components.