4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Printer without Networking

I have a new HP CP2025 printer. It has a USB and Ethernet connection. I have several computers that are not networked, that is, they cannot see each other, but they are all plugged into the same router. Is it possible to just plug the printer into the router and set it up to print from all the computers without having to set up some kind of network?

PS: One machine runs XP, a second runs 64 bit XP, and a third runs Windows Vista.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    I don't really understand the part about the computers being connected to the router but being unable to see each other. Why is that?

I think you should be able to connect the printer to the router and thus make it available to the network. You will need to install the drivers for each operating system, as you install the printer for each computer, but you obviously need to get networking properly configured in each computer.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't really understand the part about the computers being connected to the router but being unable to see each other. Why is that?
    I've never set up any kind of network so one computer cannot access files on the other computers. If I go to My Network, the other computers do not show up.

If I just connect the printer to the router, how do the computers find the printer? Does it automatically show up in the Printers and Faxes control panel?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    All the computers are then simply sharing an internet access, right?

The printer needs to be installed in every computer where you want to use it. This means that you should actually read the printer manual. It is available online here. You will need to look how to configure the printer (setting Auto Crossover to Off and getting it to display the IP automatically, so that you know it if you need it) and installing the driver in each computer.