Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Recycle not emptying

For some time now I have noticed that when I run Disk Cleanup the recycle bin is not emptying. In that app it shows that there is zero, but that is not the case. After reading Windows Secrets this morning I ran cleanmgr from the command prompt and noticed the same thing. What might be going on here? there are no error messages either.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you right click the desktop and choose refresh, does the recycle bin look empty, then?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-10 at 14:32.

Thanks
    Nope
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    What if you kill explorer.exe from the Task Manager and restart it again (from menu File->New Task (run...) then type explorer)?

Thanks
    Windows Disk Cleanup is notorius for not emptying the recycle bin, not that I use it. I use CCleaner and the first thing I do is untick recycle bin, then I can monitor it before emptying it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Fred Langa & Disk Cleanup

Check out latest issue of Windows Secrets Newsletter (#313). In it you will find an article by Fred that suggests running Disk Cleanup from a command prompt.

Roderunner is correct! Just tried Disk Cleanup on my computer and it did not empty Recycle Bin. I also use CCleaner and that DID empty the Recycle Bin.
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2011-11-11 at 08:18. Reason: Testing on my own computer

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just checked my disk cleanup and made sure recycle bin was ticked in list of things to clean. It worked fine for me. Also found running cleanmgr from a command prompt does nothing different than using the option in drive options it just opens the same cleanup box with the same choices.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-11-11 at 08:53.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Check out latest issue of Windows Secrets Newsletter (#313). In it you will find an article by Fred that suggests running Disk Cleanup from a command prompt.

Roderunner is correct! Just tried Disk Cleanup on my computer and it did not empty Recycle Bin. I also use CCleaner and that DID empty the Recycle Bin.
    I read that too and gave it a shot with the same results. No Joy! I also use CCleaner and when I run that it empties no problem.... Oh Well such is life.... Thanks for the tries all!
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Disk Cleaner, as you find it in the accessories section, runs in a very limited mode.
    But the MS programmers provided a way to run Disk Cleanup in an EXTENDED Mode, to clean out a lot more stuff.
    Here is the text for the Desktop Shortcut to run Disk Cleanup in the Extended Mode.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Just copy and paste that blue line into a new Desktop Shortcut for a much better Disk Cleanup.
    When first run, check off everything but..... Setup Logs, Office Setup Files and Compress Old Files.

Or you can also empty the Recycle bin from a batch file. It is after all, a folder and like any other
    folder, it can be emptied. I just ran my own XPCleanup.bat program which includes lines to clean out the
    recycle bin for both C: and D:. It works.

Just for fun, here are those lines from my batch file.
    deltree /y "C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\*.*"
    deltree /y "C:\Recycled\*.*"
    deltree /y "D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\*.*"
    deltree /y "D:\Recycled\*.*"

To use such a batch file, you'll also need the old DOS command "Deltree.exe" somewhere on your HD, like C:\Windows\System32
    Sorry, I've been using my own cleanup batch file since the '98 days, to keep my computer clean but just recently I've added the cleanout of the recycle bin to the file. The batch file runs every day, from a shortcut in my Startup folder. Free Maid Service!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

PS: A sample of my XPCleanup batch file as well as Deltree.exe can be downloaded from my web site.
    As titled, XPCleanup only works for XP. Deltree.exe will not run under Windows 7 or 8.
    The Deltree /Y command must be replaced by "del /F /S /Q".
    It's been a real PITA, rewriting all my cleanup batch files for windows Vista, 7 & 8.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-11-11 at 17:39.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Thanks Dr. Just for giggles, I ran cleanmgr /sageset 65535 and that again was no joy. I think that I'm going to just use CCleaner for now. I mean hell Black Friday is coming up and although not a shopper, according to msn Best Buy released their ad and there are some considerable savings to be had on new laptops. Maybe it's just time to replace this old bird. It's starting to have other issues as well.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    John, Look at that, a very "valid" reason to spend some on yourself this Christmas. Have fun with that. It's always nice to splurge once in a while.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle bin is a great tool.

I'm regard the bin as a valuable tool, it's saved me countless times. There are several other methods to clean temp files etc. but no matter the method I leave the recycle bin alone. One can make it small, manually delete anything older than a week, change the size to suit. What's the harm of an easy to use fallback? FWIW in imho the bin also serves gtd, that is, don't worry about where to place something that may be needed later, rather just hit the delete key (turn off the warnings too).
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-13 at 08:55.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by generalistx View Post
    I'm regard the bin as a valuable tool, it's saved me countless times. There are several other methods to clean temp files etc. but no matter the method I leave the recycle bin alone. One can make it small, manually delete anything older than a week, change the size to suit. What's the harm of an easy to use fallback? FWIW in imho the bin also serves gtd, that is, don't worry about where to place something that may be needed later, rather just hit the delete key (turn off the warnings too).
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

The issue here was not about using the recycle bin (which I think most people agree that is a good safety feature), but making sure the bin displays as empty when you empty it.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-13 at 09:00.

Thanks
    In any version of Windows, from XP to 8, if you press and hold the left shift key while you click "Delete" the file in question will be re-routed to the bit bucket and will never show up in the Recycle Bin.

There are many programs that empty the Recycle Bin, so that's not a good place to store things that you might ever want again.

Just a thought.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    John, Look at that, a very "valid" reason to spend some on yourself this Christmas. Have fun with that. It's always nice to splurge once in a while.
    Well, the problem seems to have been solved, along with all of the other problems I was experiencing. Here is what was going on.
    I have several USB devices including my Maxtor External Hardrive. I brought a "real" technician out because I was at wits end with this. Anyway we did a complete reinstall and thing were proceeding nicely. Computer was as fast as it once was and we were giving the thumbs ups....Too Early? Yep. We had all of the drivers installed, except my Garmin Nuvi. Microsoft found it but incidcated an error in the install. Ok I can install with the CD. Then we went into to control panel and voila it went straight to indexing. Now that seemed ok until we clicked on the Maxtor. I told him that the indexing was exactly the problem that I was having, when it shouldn't be doing that. We unplugged the Maxtor from the USB hub, and plugged it into my last open port, and it took right off. Bottom line the power has sufficiently gone down enough on the hub to where having everything plugged in was causing a drain on it and the laptop. the maxtor is now plugged into the usb port on the laptop, and OMG this thing is screaming again.......
    Thanks John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast