Thanks

Sharing a Printer

I have three computers on my network.

Computer 1 runs Windows XP and has a HP LaserJet 1022 attached to it. The printer is set to be shared.

Computer 2 runs Windows 7 64 bit and has no printers attached to it. Months ago I set it up to print to the shared LaserJet 1022 on Computer 1, and it prints fine. Unfortunately, I forget what I did to set it up.

Computer 3 runs Windows 7 64 bit and has no printers attached to it. I'm trying to set it up to print to the shared LaserJet 1022 on Computer 1, but I'm having trouble. When I go to add a printer, it goes through some stuff, then tells me it can't find a driver on the network.

What do I have to do to get Computer 3 to access the shared LaserJet 1022?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Did you install the printer software on PC #3 before trying to find the printer? Most printers state to install the software, then connect and turn on the printer. just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The method I recommend (there may be others) is to install the printer on the W7x64 systems as Ted says, then when the printer is back on XP, go into the printer properties on the W7x64 systems and change the printer port to the network share address of the printer on the XP system ( \\MofoXP\HP LaserJet 1022\ ).

It might also be able to load the drivers for the shared printer automatically, not sure, but it would for sure if there was a dialogue box asking for the drivers and you could point to where they are installed on the W7x64 systems.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-11-10 at 22:03.

Thanks
    I'm trying this stuff. Things looked fine until I connected the printer to Computer 3. I got a message that the driver didn't install correctly. I'm working on THAT, and will let you know.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Before you start sharing peripherals between PCs you should ensure that they can actually see each other through the network.

Can you see PC number 1 from PC number 3 ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this problem once, and the only way I could get round it is more or less what Infinicore says.

On the troublesome machine, I installed the printer as a local printer (obviously this involved some cable-swapping). I let Windows7 do its stuff getting the latest driver from the internet. Then I went into the printer properties and changed the port to LPT1. Finally I used the NET USE command to map LPT1 to the network share, like this:

net use lpt1 \\<computername>\<printersharename> /persistent: yes

HTH.

Thanks
    I never made much headway, so I'm starting over. I have uninstalled the printer from Computer 3. It worked when it was physically attached, but I could never get it working in shared mode. In my attempted shared mode, it always showed up grayed out.

I CAN see Computer 1 from Computer 3.

I CAN print to the shared printer from Computer 2, and I can see all the properties from there.

When I try to add the shared printer to Computer 3, I tell it I want to add a networked printer. It searches for a while, then lists a bunch of printers, some of which I can't identify (maybe former printers on Computer 1?)

When I select the one I want, using the share name, it searches for a while, then gives me an error message:

Connect to Printer
    No driver found
    Windows can't find a driver for HP LaserJet 1022 on the network. To locate one manually, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and check with your network administrator or the printer manufacturer's web site.

(There IS a Windows 7 driver on the HP web site. I've downloaded it to Computer 3, butr I don't know where it is for browsing purposes.)

When I click OK, I get another error message:

File needed: Printer driver INF for HP LaserJet 1022
    The file '.INF" on (unknown) is needed.
    Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I try to add the shared printer to Computer 3, I tell it I want to add a networked printer. It searches for a while, then lists a bunch of printers, some of which I can't identify (maybe former printers on Computer 1?)
    That is not going to work because you are using 64-bit W7, if you had 32-bit it would share in under 10 seconds no problemo. With 64-bit you have to work around the incompatibility between 64-bit and 32-bit.

So the logic of my and tonyl's suggested method is the printer is treated like its local to the 64-bit W7 system (not shared) but you trick it into printing to the 32-bit hosted printer by changing the print port from USB (where the printer no longer exists since you moved it back to the 32 bit system) to the shared network location.

This method does not try to add any printer as a shared device; its just tricking W7x64 to print to the location where the printer actually is. I've never used the net use command so I don't know if that's a better variation or not.

Thanks
    Is computer 3 set to automatically download drivers?

You can check this from this screenshot

driver.PNG

To date I have never experienced a problem when accessing a shared printer on an XP32 system from my W7x64 system as it simply just downloads the required drivers.

Hopefully that is of help, but of course, YMMV.

Thanks
    I also share my printer with both 32 Bit and 64 bit PCes, but the printer manufacturer must actually have both 32 bit and 64 Bit drivers available. Unfortunately, some do not see fit to develop both.

In your case HP does indeed have drivers for both:

HPlaserjet1022.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni's method might be a way to get at those drivers, as long as they are in the Windows Update library...which is pretty vast. I know there's a way to download them and point to them yourself but I've never done that.

Thanks
    Computer 3 definitely IS set to download drivers automatically.

The problem still exists, in spite of trying several of the suggestions above.

I note that there are two drivers from HP. One is a Plug and Play that says it's intended for first time installation. I do NOT think that's the one I downloaded. I'm also reluctant to download it, since I don't want to get into a deeper hole. Advice would be welcome.

Computer 2, is also a Win 7 64 bit, on which the shared printer works fine. When I check the shared printer's properties, the Ports tab shows that it is connedted to port USB003, described as "Virtual printer port for USB." To the best of my recollection, I've never seen this port on Computer 3 (the one with the printer difficulties).

I'm starting more and more to think that the "plug and play" driver might be my salvation here, but once again I don't want to get in deeper. (I'm still a newbie at Win 7).
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go into the ports on Computer 2 is there anything that tells you more about USB003? Like if you pretend you want to edit or add another port, do you get more info? Virtual makes sense but its tied to the real port somehow somewhere and I suspect that that is the network address of the shared computer, not an actual port on Comp 2.

You said you backed out the installation from Comp3 though right? I don't think you'll be able to duplicate Comp2 settings in Comp3 without having it installed. I'd try it on my one W7x64 system but its down for the count right now until I get the power supply switched.

Thanks
    I downloaded the first of the 2 driver packages from the HP site (it had a slightly later date.)

I then ran the the downloaded .exe file and hit cancel when asked to plug in the printer.

Now at this point I have the driver files in C:\Program Files\HP\HP LaserJet 1020 driver

hpdriver.PNG

Now what you could try doing is going back to the beginning, try to install the network printer as before and when it asks for the .inf file, point it to the above folder.

Hope that works otherwise I'm out of ideas!