2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates for software that is not on the computer

My Win 7 laptop had a trial version of Microsoft Office 2007. Since I wasn't going to purchase it I removed it by uninstalling it using Programs and Features. I continue to get updates for Office 2007. There currently are no Microsoft Office programs on the computer. Is there something in the registry that needs to be changed? Or any other ideas to fix this?

Linda

Thanks
    Download this FREE program;http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
    Once you have it,open it.Then click on the Registry icon to the left,then click on;Scan for Issues.This should pretty well take care of your problem.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Linda, Good morning.

It seems many uninstallers leave a lot of fluff behind. In Win 7 this is not nearly the problem it was in previous versions, but it can still be a problem. CCleaner may find most of the extras.

Do you have any viewers to allow Office content to be viewed on your PC? How about any cloud based Office apps?

What are the Office updates being offered? Perhaps seeing or knowing which updates are being offered with give a key what else to look for.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have this problem although slightly different. I have Office 2003 installed but only Word / Excel and Access. I keep getting updates for outlook / outlook Express offered but they fail when trying to install. I have never had outlook in any form installed so why would it offer updated it cannot install? At the moment I just hide the updates when they appear. And I already use Ccleaner regularly.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-11-11 at 08:54.

Thanks
    The default uninstaller may not delete the folders in thier root install directories, this also includes those burried in the start menu.
    You may need to manually delete them as well.
    Places to look:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
    Start Menu

As usual, before doing anything you are unsure of, make a complete backup or system image.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have/had the same issue as curiousclive except that I do not have any MS Office retail products installed on my computer. I did the same thing with hiding the updates from Windows update. I even brought this up as an issue with MS and it was not resolved. I do have the Powerpoint viewer installed in the MS Office folder which I believe is the default folder for this. I did have one successful MS Office 2007 comparability pack install before all of the install fails. I have uninstalled this and am waiting to see if this cures the problem. I would suggest that anyone with this issue uninstall any Compatibility packs. I run registry cleaners regularly so in my case it did not help the issue.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    just went back into windows updates and chose show hidden updates. Surprisingly there were none. Even when ran check for updates it now does not show any needed.
    The update in question is not shown in installed updates so don't know what happened to it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    just went back into windows updates and chose show hidden updates. Surprisingly there were none. Even when ran check for updates it now does not show any needed.
    The update in question is not shown in installed updates so don't know what happened to it.
    Sometimes, Microsoft updates the detection criteria for a fix after the initial released. That MAY be what happened with this fix.

Joe