New Lounger
    West Virginia, USA

win7/64/sp1 usb mass storage device code 32

USB items working: Keyboard, Mouse, AverTV Hybrid tuner, UPS monitoring, Headset, and just about anything else
    USB items not working: USB Sandisk and USB External Hard Drive (both tested as working fine in two other machines)

I do not often use the Sandisk or External Hard Drive and just recently needed to and discovered I'm getting the following when investigating from the device manager:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

All the properties characteristics for both devices look fine. From everything I can tell they should just simply work, as they had before ... but I'm getting a yellow exclamation point in the device manager and they are disabled.

I have plowed through quite a few 'try this' / 'try that' and find nothing that works so far. Particularly with Windows 7, all avenues seem to point to the OS Hardware Troubleshooter as the best way to fix such problems. Well, it simply is not being fixed by that.

The text of the code 32 suggest an alternate driver may be providing this functionality...... Huh?

I'm stumped at this point. I don't know where to go next. I thought I'd pass this by the community before I resort to re-installation of my OS (oh, I dread the thought).

I -do- use Acronis Backup and can restore back as far as a month ago, but I'd like to avoid that if I can. I would do a full back of the current state of the machine, then restore as far back in time as I can and work my way forward in time by restoring differential backups until I find the point where it all broke. This will take me a LOT of time.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas about how to repair this I'd love to hear them. Thanks ....
    Last edited by ThePOO; 2011-11-11 at 02:06.

4 Star Lounger
    If this was a sudden change and if its apparent it happened in the last month, and you didn't make other huge changes to your system that would be adversely affected by a rollback, use a system restore point to sometime prior to when you think the change occurred.

If that option is out you might also try deleting all the USB controllers and particularly the mass storage devices in Device Manager and reboot to rebuild them.