3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stock Chart in Excel 2010

I have used the chart type for Stocks named Volume-Open-High-Low-Close in previous versions of Excel (XP/2003). When I open these in 2010 I get some unpredictable results. Some are as expected, but others do not use the labels.

I used to be able to have just one row of data to build a chart, but it seems that I need to have a minimum of 6 rows of data selected to get a chart to display when I select chart type Volume-Open-High-Low-Close. Has anyone had this issue or can explain why this is happening?

Thanks
    I am not sure what you are indicating is a problem. Could you attach an example file showing us something that works and something that does not work?

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The attached file is a sample that we found. If you select data less than 5 row you get the message in the file. We used to be able to select only one row of data to get a chart, which is what we want.

Any ideas how we can get the chart with only one row of data?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjg1; 2011-11-16 at 10:00. Reason: missing attachment

Thanks
    I checked the behavior in earlier versions of XL and in XL97 a similar error message occurs with too few rows, which makes me skeptical that XL2007 removed the error and then added it back in 2010...

What I would suggest is to create it with 5 or more rows (if you use <4 rows if you do get the error, the data assignment may be transposed), then immediately after the chart is created with the data outlined, shrink it be just the header and the first row.

The problem seems to be that XL tries to set the X-axis as the larger array dimension (the 5 cols instead of the 1 row) which confuses the chart wizard since there is not enough range then for the required 5 legends.

Steve

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

bjg1 (2011-11-17)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. We verified that we can get the chart that is needed by our engineer.