Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trusted Publsiher Problem with Administrative Tools

I do not know when this problem started as I haven't used administrative tools in a couple of weeks. I never used to have this problem but suddenly when I open any of the administrative tools I now get the message "Do you want to open this file - unknown publisher".
    Clearly MS is not an unknown publisher. I do not get this warning if I execute the .msc file in windows\system32 directory.
    Not sure what happened and no clue how to fix. I have UAC turned off. It does not happen with other tools like Calculator or MSconfig .. only those linked via Administrative Tools in Control Panel.
    Any ideas?

admin_tools.jpg

Apologies for misspelling in title .. uncorrectable with edit.
    Last edited by bbrener; 2011-11-12 at 00:47.

Thanks
    This tutorial from Windows Seven Forums will help. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lock-file.html
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but that doesn't quite help. The 'unblock a file' option only appears with downloaded files and not system files provided by MS.
    FYI though. I think I fixed my own problem. Trying security settings did not help.
    I found that if I clicked 'Properties' on the control panel\Administrative Tools, that under 'shortcut tab' (who have thought to look there) is an advanced option that then offers and option to 'run as administrator'.
    Checking this seems to have fixed the issue. Not sure how it ever got to the point where I had to do that. The file itself was not an issue, only the shortcut which is why it did not need to be unblocked.
    I downloaded a new set that I found on Google and these did the same thing! The date of the files were the same (10/16) so I am betting an update with that date caused the issue.