Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing contacts in Outlook

I use a fully updated Office 2010 with a fully updated Win 7 Home Premium OS on three pcs acquired over the past 8 months or so. On the latest pc (acquired in August), I find that every few weeks (I just thought: perhaps as part of my archive cycle) I lose many of my Contacts entries. I import again from another pc, but I am sure that I miss some data updates.

What might cause this, and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

globalist

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Contacts get archived too. Are you sure they are not in an archive file?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip -- Contacts were not archived in Outlook 2003 -- at least, they did not disappear from my active .pst folder.

I can find nothing in Outlook help that would help me turn off Autoarchiving for Contacts (and its subfolders, as I have it organized). There must be a way. Can you help here? None of the Autoarchive control settings that appear with mail files come up with Contacts.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Honestly, I only noticed today that some of my contacts were archived. I have been looking for settings related to this and could not find them. Searching didn't return any worthy results, either.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Then maybe someone can help both of us!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just moved my contacts back to the main pst file. Funny, in over a year with Office 2010 this never happened before.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has happened to me about three times. It wasn't until yesterday that I noticed that at least this last time was right after an autoarchive event.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, here is a way to trick it to leave contacts alone when auto-archiving. Click contacts. While viewing them, click the Folder tab in Outlook. One of the icons available is Archive (the rightmost icon for me). Click Archive. You will get a dialog that will allow you set a date (archive items older than). Choose a date that predates any of your contacts (I chose January 2000). Click ok to archive.

No contacts are archived, if the date is older than any of them. The good thing is that Outlook remembers this date, so hopefully your contacts will never get archived again.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jscher2000 (2011-11-12),snjbaren (2012-12-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Much to my regret, I have no Archive icon in the Folder tab visible when Contacts is open. I've checked in my version of Outllook on this pc (Home & Business, I think) but I also checked on another of my pcs which has Office Professional on it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can customize the Ribbon to show it. Click the Folder tab while viewing contacts, right click the Ribbon, choose Customize the Ribbon, choose All Commands in the left dropdown, Folder will be selected in the right dropdown. Find the Archive command in the left dropdown and just click the Add button to add it to the Folder tab.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

globalist (2011-11-12),slgoetze (2011-11-17),snjbaren (2012-12-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally -- it is visible and changed to ancient times (for archiving).

This was a crazy event. I'll find out over the next several weeks whether this solved my problem.

I deeply appreciate your persistence in helping me until the problem was (hopefully) solved.

[I have spent more time on Win 7 and to a lesser extent Office 2010 maintenance this year than I spent in 10 years of Win XP and Office 2003 experience. Win 7 is beautiful when it works, but it takes me back to my disappearing Win ME experience.]

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Guess this was an Outlook issue, rather than a Windows 7 one. The ribbon interface takes a bit to get used to, but more options are visible when compared to the previous Office interface. I admit that more often than one would like, you find yourself looking for the location of a feature, but it gets better with time .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

snjbaren (2012-12-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook, agreed. Just expressing frustration -- my relatives and friends all switched to Apple, while I remained with Windows and deal with blue screens, unstable systems, even black screens that I had never seen before Win 7. There are some wonderful features on Win 7 -- when it is working.

Administrator
    Thanks
    My experience with Windows 7, on a 3 year old desktop and a 2 year old laptop that I use everyday has been very positive. I don't really remember a BSOD other than the ones I got when was a member of a beta test team and those were related to the beta software.

Have you tried to investigate the cause for the BSODs, through BlueScreenView or similar apps? I would suspect most BSOD cases are related to hardware or driver issues. Windows 7 has been the most stable OS I have used.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One major problem came as I tracked problems with Dragon Naturally Speaking. I have since found other users who have similar problems, which were eventually traced to destructive interaction with shared DLLs used both by Dragon and Symantec. [All three of my new Win 7 pcs were shipped with Symantec installed.] After removing Symantec on two systems, their performance improved. One has been fine; the other changed from BSODs to BlackSODs; the system would not start. I eventually seem (never sure -- it is very recent) to have a rebootable system again, after running a driver update program and a registry cleaner program. [On both systems, I used the Windows Secrets newsletter's approach to "repair" (reinstall as an upgrade) Win 7 to give a relatively clean start.] For the more obstinate system I then used the system & registry cleaning approach advocated in the last issue of the newsletter, actually combining two of the three systems tested. It seems to have helped.

I realize that I've drawn us way off topic for this thread, so I had better end it. I really appreciate your great assistance. THANK YOU!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to globalist For This Useful Post:

snjbaren (2012-12-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast