Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POP to IMAP?

Thanks

POP to IMAP?

Strange question perhaps: if I have been using POP to get mail from my ISP, and I want to switch to IMAP, how then would I sync all the mail I have already downloaded once I make the switch? Is the sync between folders two-way? If I move a bunch of mail into the Inbox, does it "go to the server" as well? And Sent mail? Other folders?

I like the idea of switching, but I'm Leary of having to maintain separate PST files for the POP and IMAP mail.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    You can drag and drop (with the Ctrl key to copy rather than move) mail from your local folders (POP mail) and the new folders Outlook will create if you set up the account as as IMAP account. In my test, for some reason, it took 3 minutes for Outlook 2007 to move 32 messages; perhaps because they were copied up to the server in real time?

Thanks
    That would work Jefferson. That way I wouldn't have to worry about whether something is already downloaded or not...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    That's right, I can't, because when I set up the imap account the folders are created...duh...

CB
    ---

Can I set up the IMAP e-mail and just open what was the POP PST file...then it would self-adjust the internet folders to match the local ones? Or would the local messages be "erased" in order to0 match the new folders online?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2011-11-13 at 16:34.

Thanks
    Comes under the heading of Live and Learn. I was trying to set up IMAP for my accounts. The beginning portion went fine, as my ISP [1and1] supports IMAP. But then I ran into Outlook.

Outlook 2010 -- as far as I can tell -- will not let me set up all my accounts as IMAP. It kept wanting at least one POP. Then I learned -- and I should have noticed, I suspect that IMAP accounts don't have calendars and the other niceties. That evaded me since Goggle and AOL and other IMAP supporters built it in [somehow]. So I ended up having mail in one PST, and needing another for everything else.

Ah well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Calendars, Notes, Tasks, etc. are not part of email and especially not part of the IMAP definition. When you setup an IMAP account you'll get a PST file, called the Outlook data file, to contain those items. Any other service has included those items as an added feature to the application.
    What is done via programming and a web interface is outside the IMAP specification.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I now get that IMAP is [just] mail. But what I don't get is where you say "When you setup an IMAP account you'll get a PST file, called the Outlook data file, to contain those items." I was able to figure that I needed the PST holding those things, and point Outlook there, but it was something I set up, I didn't see it appear automatically.

Also, it seems that Outlook requires that the default e-mail account is a POP? So then that just sits there to0 make Outlook happy and does nothing really?

Chuck

Thanks
    I've never set up Outlook where the very first account I added is an IMAP account. Instead, I did something similar to you where I shut down my POP account and add a couple of IMAP accounts. Outlook didn't mind, and my "Local Folders" (or whatever they are now called) are still there with my old mail, calendar, contacts, etc. That was in Outlook 2007.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That is what happens when you start from scratch with IMAP only. You get local folders that are called something similar to "Outlook data file" in the navigation pane. Then each IMAP account has its own PST file.

Joe

Thanks
    And then the mail goes to the different PSTs, and the calendar, contacts etc. reside in the local folder setup? That then would raise a question: I only WANT one calendar, contacts, etc., but if I DID want more than one, are local folders set up for each IMAP account you add? Or do they all point to the one set -- the preferred state for my purposes? Because I have more than one e-mail address, but only need one calendar. contacts, notes etc.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    You get one set of local folders.

Joe

Thanks
    OK, thanks Joe.

Chuck

Thanks

OK Then

OK guys;

I went back to a Pre-Office Image, and then installed Office 2010, and then set up an IMAP account in Outlook. All seems to have gone fine.

But help me out here:

There is a PST file where I expected it to be -- is that just for Contacts, calendars, etc.? If so, where is the mail? If the PST is the client-side mail, where are the other items?

The bright side: It seems to be working, so I'm crawling toward getting there! Hang in there with me!

Chuck

Thanks
    I THINK I found it:

There's a PST file matching the name of the account in C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Then there is now an Outlook.pst in C:\Users\CWBillow\Documents\Outlook Files.

So is the Outlook.pst the container for the calendar etc. while the other is for the mail? ANd then the outcmd.dat etc. are still going to be in C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outloo k?

Can I relocate the Outlook.pst over to C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook so that all the info will be in the same place? Or move the mail PST into C:\Users\CWBillow\Documents\Outlook Files?

Or should I just leave it all for now?

And I want to now set up the other e-mail address...so their mail PST's will be at C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook, and they will all share the calendar. contacts etc. in C:\Users\CWBillow\Documents\Outlook?

Chuck

Thanks
    And, if I move mail in my local folders, that will translate to the online mail, yes?

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast