New Lounger
    Thanks

vista home premium/ galaxy tab P7500/ samsung Kies synchronisation software

Woke up to find that my tab no longer is recognised by Kies. However, the PC recognizes the Tab. Called Samsung after spending hours on the internet, confirming that I am not the only one. In fact I called them five times and got five different solutions. There is one that requires insight into Windows that I do not have: Go to add/remove programs and install NET Framework 3.5 SP1, which I did. Then, still in add/remove go to, I now have to translate Dutch into English, but you'll get the drift, activate/de-activate Microsoft modules. There I am supposed to activate two subfolders of NET Framework 3.5, namely Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation, respectively Non-HTTP Activation. However, here I only found NET Framework 3.0, which is not even listed in the add/remove list. The question: how do I get 3.5 in the activate/de-activate Microsoft modules.
    Any suggestions?
    The reason I am keen to solve this problem is that it is the only laymen's way to get firmware updates.
    Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

You need to choose Turn Windows Features on or Off, when you are viewing the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. There you will have access to what you need.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Muito obrigado (I live in your country five months a year). Please enlighten me: which control panel, where, to have access to what?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thinking about it, you just solved the translation problem. So to return to my original question: how do I get NET Framework 3.5 SP1 into Turn Windows features on or off?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Not sure what is the dutch translation. If you click Vista's Orb (start button replacement) then choose Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that my question is lost in translation. Let me rephrase the question: In Programs and Features I have the folder I downloaded, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Within that folder there are two subfolders I need to activate. To do that I need to open Turn Windows Features on and off. However when I do that I find The folder .NET Framework 3.0.
    How to remove this folder and get 3.5 SP1 in its place?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1? It's not a folder, it's an installer. You have to execute it to install it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I just downloaded it. I will now install and get back to you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have now downloaded and executed the right file. Plus a Windows update for security. So now I have 3.5 in Windows and Features and no 3.0 there. And I have 3.0 in Windows features On and Off and no 3.5 there. Please see the attachments. How can I add the 3.5 to Features ON and Off or replace the 3.0 there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    .NET 3.0 was released as a component of Vista and thus shows up in the Windows features. .NET 3.5 is an addon installed just like anything other program. It will never show up as a feature in Vista. You can have more than one version of .NET installed and active at the same time in any version of Windows. A program that uses a particular version of .NET will automatically get the correct version.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

slui1 (2011-11-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. Does your reply mean that I will not be able to turn on the features in 3.5, as requested by Samsung, that are now turned on in 3.0? And thus that solution number five from Samsung is just as useless as the first four?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, with 3.5 on Vista, you have no options to enable. All .net 3.5 features should be already enabled. I would, just to be sure, enabled those features on 3.0, too.

Sorry, only now realized this was a Vista running computer.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-13 at 10:23.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

slui1 (2011-11-13)