Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis restore question

I have a comment on a major problem I had restoring with Acronis. It restored a lot of Virtual XP files, even though the Virtual XP partition had been removed and was no longer installed on the system. I would figure that a proper restore would have included these if, in fact, I had originally saved the image when the Virtual XP was active, but shouldn't it also restore the Virtual XP as well, if it was working properly?

I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get all the Virtual stuff removed since it wasn't on the Control Panel, even after the restore. I still don't think my removal is complete {I just saw the word "Virtual" on something today}.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeha I know what you mean Big Doc I used the wretched app and Revo'd it or so I thought on an old XP but kept getting True image did'nt start pop up on boot. So went looking > nothing in programs > Add / Remove > or Revo list . BUT in Autoruns and regedit that many files it isn't funny. So am left with picking my way through (very gingerly) regedit to get rid of it.

Funny really cos Revo's usually pretty good at the left over reg items eh? Something smells in heaven

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDocD View Post
    I have a comment on a major problem I had restoring with Acronis. It restored a lot of Virtual XP files, even though the Virtual XP partition had been removed and was no longer installed on the system. I would figure that a proper restore would have included these if, in fact, I had originally saved the image when the Virtual XP was active, but shouldn't it also restore the Virtual XP as well, if it was working properly?

I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get all the Virtual stuff removed since it wasn't on the Control Panel, even after the restore. I still don't think my removal is complete {I just saw the word "Virtual" on something today}.
    I am not sure what you mean by Virtual XP partition. Can you explain, please?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Bigdoc was referring something like this ruirib http://www.ehow.com/how_5185907_crea...partition.html as for me virtuals / clouds etc all gobbledeegook to me.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your responses Hildernaecg and Ruirib.

No, Hildernaecg, it wasn't quite like the .html page you sent Ruirib to, but similar.

I'm talking about the capability in Win7 to have a Virtual system set up within Win7 to allow the running of WinXP within the Virtual system. It does set up Virtual Folders and Files to go along with it.

I used this configuration when I was first moving/converting from WinXP to Win7 to allow me to continue using WinXP apps until I had their conversion to Win7 complete. After I was completely done with all the conversions, I uninstalled the Virtual XP system and all the files, etc. which left me running solely with/in Win7.

What I did was, after I had a few problems one day, I made the mistake of attempting to restore from an Acronis image that still had all the Virtual XP system and files on it. I guess I made the assumption, like I said in my original comment, that everything would be restored, even the Virtual XP system. My problems started occuring because it only restored the Files, etc., and not the system.

I thought I had completely gotten rid of all the Virtual stuff, but, again, as I mentioned earlier, I saw the word "Virtual" somewhere which now tweaks me that there is still some of the Virtual system and Files on my system.

I MADE THE COMMENT SOLELY TO MAKE ANY ACRONIS USERS/POSSIBLE ACRONIS USERS AWARE THAT THEY SHOULD WATCH THESE TYPES OF SCENARIOS OR THEY MIGHT RUN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM I DID.

I'm presently searching for an Image Backup/Recovery style system other than Acronis that I might use instead of Acronis. Acronis could be good, possibly, if they would fix problems/bugs found, instead of just including them in the next version thereby forcing a customer to pay for corrections, something I heartily disagree with. That BLAST comes after working in the design/programming field for over 40 years, in a consulting role the last 25 of those years. PAYING FOR CORRECTION TO PROGRAM BUGS IS A NO-NO AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. IF SOMEONE HAS PAID FOR YOUR SOFTWARE ALREADY, THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY AGAIN TO GET CORRECTIONS. SURE, ISSUE CHARGEABLE NEW RELEASES WITH GREAT NEW FEATURES IF YOU WANT, BUT FIX THE PROBLEMS IN THE ORIGINAL RELEASES FOR THOSE CUSTOMERS WHO DON'T PARTICULARLY WISH ALL THE FANCY NEW STUFF.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doc,
    Give EaseUS Todo Backup v.3.5 Free a try; works well for me, and is free, including WinPE boot disc. Some problems using the boot disc with USB 3.0 at the time, but you'll find the support team remarkably responsive for a free program, even if their English leaves a bit to be desired.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hiyya Doc oh yes try that EaseUS like Zig beat me to suggesting mate it is just awesome - you could NOT fall of a log any easier and for me that is how apps have to be. The Acronis was so complicated and Macrium well usable but kept missing the odd files for whatever reason meaning one had to skip them to carry on. But EaseUS it's just turn on pick the drive to be cloned > Enter > pick the drive to clone to > Enter > a little spiel > Ok / Enter and mate anything between 25 and 40 minutes later depending on the machine's "fullness" - done. Plus it's free does images. backup management, file backup as well and I do see they have some other apps I am tempted to try out.
    Just wish there were more apps like this one.

http://www.todo-backup.com/?gclid=CO...FaWL4goduyDLHA