Star Lounger
    Thanks

Customizing Windows 7 Start menu

Finally stopped being a Luddite and upgraded from my beloved XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro. Going through the "WHERE in Windows 7 do I [fill in task of choice]?????????????? transition.

Gripe/whine of the moment: I figured out how to customize the Start Menu for all users. How in the blankety-blank-blank do I customize it for individual users???? My husband and I both use this computer, we each have our own accounts. He has programs he needs/uses that I don't need/can't use, and vice versa. Where is that hidden? SURELY we can customize it!

Thanks!

Jo Byrd

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    In the Start Menu, the lower part's contents (immediately above All Programs) is determined by Windows, depending on the programs you regularly use. You can add programs to the top part's content by right clicking any desired program in the menu and choosing Pin to Start Menu.

As to the contents of All Programs, when you install a program you may be given the choice of installing it just for the current user or all computer users. Choose the option that suits you better, when asked.

Not sure if this what you were asking.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sort of. The programs my husband uses didn't give me the option of installing just for current user. Therefore, we both have it in the All Programs list. I'd like to move those into his Start > All Programs list and not have it in the All Users list. And I have a program that I did install as for only me, only I can't move it into a folder with other programs that only I use. I need to access the individual users Start Menu All Programs, and I have NO clue where it is since Windows 7 seems to think I shouldn't have access to any of the logical places.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You could use TakeOwnership to overcome the annoyance of Windows 7 stopping you from accessing the folders you had access to in XP.
    To tell you the truth, I don't know if I would change anything for just a couple programs, but as many say here YMMV. TakeOwnership should allow you to overcome the Windows 7 resistance, should you decide to proceed.

Thanks
    Have a look through the attached file to find where things have been moved to in Windows 7.

User Profiles - where Documents and Settings folders are now located in Win7 and WS2008.doc
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdwrites View Post
    Windows 7 seems to think I shouldn't have access to any of the logical places.
    This prior discussion should shed some light on that.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...here-did-it-go

Thanks
    I wouldn't dream of setting up Vista, Win-7 or Win-8 without also installing "Take Ownership" or "Grant Full Admin Control".
    There are other MUST have's, but I won't go into that here.
    But I do have about a dozen tweaks that I use to make those OS's more efficient and user friendly.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    <snip>
    I'd like to move those into his Start > All Programs list and not have it in the All Users list. And I have a program that I did install as for only me, only I can't move it into a folder with other programs that only I use. I need to access the individual users Start Menu All Programs, and I have NO clue where it is since Windows 7 seems to think I shouldn't have access to any of the logical places.
    I'm not an expert on Win7, but I'd have thought the structure was similar, if not identical, to WinXP.

What happens if you right-click the start button? Do you get open or open all users? Either of those should show you where you are. If so, you can move the shortcuts around in Explorer as you wish (you might have to be logged on as an administrator).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!This is EXACTLY what I needed!

Just trying to figure out where it is "now" as opposed to "then" is driving me bonkers.

Did I say "thank you?"

Jo Byrd

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!This is EXACTLY what I needed!

Just trying to figure out where it is "now" as opposed to "then" is driving me bonkers.

Did I say "thank you?"

Jo Byrd
    I assume you mean me, in which case YW, glad I could help!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Customizing - Start menu, etc

To learn the insides of customizing, I always visit the How to Geek.
    It's a wonderful resource, especially if you are prepared to browse and learn.
    Also available at the site are things like Take Ownership and so on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/

cheryl