New Lounger
    Thanks

cmd commands to copy shortcut of word exe

I write the following batch to put short cut of word.exe of office 2003 in quick launch
    it work but put the exe file itself not a short cut
    could you tell me what i do to put short cut

cmdow @ /HID

echo
    copy C:\"Program Files"\"Microsoft Office"\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\shortcut to WINWORD.EXE"

many thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're bound to get asked why on earth you'd want to do this, but I won't as it's none of my business lol.

AFAIK there's no way to do it at the command prompt (and I'm happy to be corrected on that), but you could do it using some sort of script I should think.

Thanks
    First you have to make a shortcut (suggest you put it on the desktop).

In My Computer or in Windows Explorer, right click on WinWord.exe (in your case navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\) and from the drop-down menu choose "Send to..." and then "Desktop (create shortcut)".

Then I suppose you just drag and drop the shortcut to the QuickLaunch toolbar (I don't know for certain, because I never use QuickLaunch!)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    You're bound to get asked why on earth you'd want to do this, but I won't as it's none of my business lol.

AFAIK there's no way to do it at the command prompt (and I'm happy to be corrected on that), but you could do it using some sort of script I should think.
    Thanks Tony

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    First you have to make a shortcut (suggest you put it on the desktop).

In My Computer or in Windows Explorer, right click on WinWord.exe (in your case navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\) and from the drop-down menu choose "Send to..." and then "Desktop (create shortcut)".

Then I suppose you just drag and drop the shortcut to the QuickLaunch toolbar (I don't know for certain, because I never use QuickLaunch!)...

I know this method but I want it done after installing new window automatically
    Many thanks BATcher

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not use PowerShell? Try something like this:

$wshshell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell
    $lnk = $wshshell.CreateShortcut("$SystemDrive\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Word.lnk")
    $lnk.TargetPath = "$ProgramFiles\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE"
    $lnk.Save()

This makes use of Windows Scripting Host functionality, so you could write a WSH script or VBScript to do this also.

Thanks
    As noted above, if you don't have PowerShell, a similar approach is available in VBScript. Microsoft's documentation and sample code can be found here: Windows Script Host - CreateShortcut Method