Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sherry R

Scanning Letterhead into Word (Word 2000 9.0.2720)

I want to be able to scan a letter on letterhead and retrieve it in Word so that I can attach it to e-mail.

I tried to scan a letter as an Image File and saved it. Then in Word I did Insert|Picture and chose that file. It does insert it, but not at full size. I wasn't able to expand it successfully.

In WordPerfect I can pull the margins out and it expands very easily, but, probably because of the printer, it insists on leaving a 2/10 inch margin around the whole page. However, in Word, when I pulled the edges, either the guidelines moved but the picture didn't move to fill the new placement, or the whole picture jumped over and went partially off the screen. I tried to bring up a choice for "size" and choose the full page size, but had no success with that, either.

If I'm able to do this, I also hoped to be able to scan the blank letterhead to use as a template or watermark, so that future letters could just be done on this without printing and scanning each time.

Sherry

Thanks

Re: Scanning Letterhead into Word (Word 2000 9.0.2720)

Sherry, it sounds as though if you can have your second wish granted, you don't need the first. Nevertheless, since I recently had a need similar to your first one, let me talk about that one first.

When Word inserts a picture, if the picture exceeds the margins, it will be downsized. To prevent this from happening, go into Page Setup before inserting the picture and set all your margins to 0" (including the header and footer margins). Obviously you would not do this if there were text near the edge, but presumably your scanned image contains a nice blank border all around. Then, when you insert the picture, it should fill the page. You might need to make some small adjustments and perhaps use the cropping tool to get it just right. A lot of hassle!

To insert an image of your letterhead, you typically would insert it into the First Page header. There have been a number of posts on this board regarding how to do this (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=56632>example</A>), and you can find a wealth of suggestions here. Hopefully you will find a strategy that works for you, and doesn't make files that are too huge.

I can hear the Adobe Acrobat proponents saying you should make a PDF file, and there are definite advantages to that, in terms of the fidelity of the final printout to your original, and the near universal ability to open such files. If your budget does not permit the original, I have heard that there are other programs on the market (freeware or shareware) that can create a PDF file from a Word document. Good luck!

Thanks

Hi Sherry,

Once you have the letterhead scanned, use a picture editor to clean it up and get the parts that actually contain something. In other words, you don't need a picture of all of that blank space you're going to type in. If what you want is just at the top, trim your picture to include just that part. If it has something at the bottom as well, then use two pictures. Something on the left or right, more pictures. Multiple small pictures is much better than one big picture as far as size and flexibility go.

Second, to the extent you can do it, replicate the letterhead's text within Word. Tables can be useful for grouping items. The reason for doing this is that using image files to print text really bloats your document size, especially for purposes of emails.

Third, insert your pictures (and replication text) into the first page header of a template. (I would put the footer picture in the footer just for purposes of being easier to debug, it can go in the header but that just confuses people.) Margin pictures can go in either the header or footer.

For how to set up the pictures, etc., take a look at two of my letterhead downloads from . These are the Letterhead System and the Letterhead Textbox and Styles Tutorial. If you are using scanned images, replace the textboxes in the textbox tutorial with those images. You may need textboxes as well to better control wrapping of text in different ways. You may also find <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm> How can I get a different header / footer on the second and subsequent pages? useful.

I think if you play with these examples, you'll get something that you like.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Sherry R

Thank you both for your answers. I tried scanning the letterhead with the printed document on it and by setting all the margins to 0, that finally worked.

I would rather use the blank letterhead as the template. The one I would mostly be using has a dark border across the entire top with lettering in a lighter color and then also some text, etc. at the bottom. So, the suggestion of scanning those as separate pictures to use as a header and footer does sound like a good idea.

I don't really know how to create the headers, etc. like that in Word. I haven't had a chance to check your links or play around with it yet, and probably won't tonight, but thank you for the suggestions, and when I get a chance to look into it, I'll be back to either report on the success or ask more questions!

Sherry

Sherry R

Well, I guess I'm ready for more help! I've only used Word on a very basic level and don't know much about headers and footers.

I scanned the blank letterhead and chose the top part as one file (it came out as a .bmp file, in case that matters) and the bottom as a separate file. When I choose View|Header and Footer, an area with a dotted line appears at the top and a little toolbar pops up a bit further down. From there, I have no idea how to tell it to insert the picture as the header or footer.

Also, I believe I mentioned, this particular letterhead has a dark band across the top. It goes down about an inch and covers the entire width of the page. Since my printer apparently insists on a 2/10 inch margin, I don't know if it will be possible to place the picture all the way to the top edge like that.

I tried setting all of the margins to 0 before starting, and the "dotted box" doesn't really show, just the bottom part of it shows.

Is it possible to give me step-by-step instructions?

Sherry

Thanks

Hi Sherry,

Take a look at (addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm) which does include step-by-step instructions for setting up a letterhead header. Download the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm#LetterheadTextboxesAndStylesTutorial> Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://#http://addbalance.com/word/download/index.htmLetterheadSystem> Letterhead System</A> (addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm) for examples.

When you are in the header box for the first-page-header use Insert => Picture => from file... to pull in your picture. Once it has been inserted, right-click on it to format it. Specifically, you want to change the wrapping so that it does wrap. Once you have done that, you should be able to click on the picture and drag it to position it.

You will not be able to print at the top of your page. No printer that I know of can do this. It is also unlikely that you will be able to print edge-to-edge. (I don't know of any laser printers that will do that unless you fool them about the page width. Some ink-jets will print edge to edge.) How close you can come will depend on both the printer and the printer driver.

You may want to try replacing the band with a paragraph or page border and deleting it from your picture. Like text typed in Word rather than a picture, this will use less space on your hard disk and print more quickly. If a border won't work, try an AutoShape rectangle.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Sherry R

Hi Charles,

That's a big improvement, but I still need some help. Inserting the header and footer pictures worked. I didn't see a general choice for wrap, to just say "yes," but there were various wrap styles and I chose "behind text." I managed to move it over so that on the screen it did cover the full top, and the bottom seemed appropriately placed. I tried printing, but it did leave the 2/10 inch white border on the top and both sides. However, the person I'm doing this for, I don't think will mind that.

I originally tried setting all the margins to 0. Since this is being set up as a header and footer, and since I can move the pictures around, perhap I could still get it to the top and bottom without the margin change. Because, the main problem, was that after it was set up for the letterhead to look right, I ended up with 0 margins for the rest of the document. With hard returns and tabs I managed to place text appropriately, but that certainly isn't an ideal way to do things!

Can I get the header and footer to the edges without the 0 margins? And, if not, is there a way to change things back to normal for the text?

Sherry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sherry:

I haven't been following the entire thread, but to answer the last two questions:
    1. "Can I get the header and footer to the edges without the 0 margins?"

You can't get the dashed lines to the edge without the header margins set to zero. You could modify the header style to have negative left & right indents equal to the margin. Then if you insert a picture & make it inline (uncheck the "float over text" on the postion tab of Format/Object), the picture will be at the edge(s).

2. And, if not, is there a way to change things back to normal for the text?

Alternatively, you could have the header with zero margins & start the document with a continuous section break & then set the margins in the new section. Another, more difficult way, would be to define styles to use in that document template that have a positive paragraph indentation.

i.e. what you're doing is either 2 sections with different margins or adjusting styles to be indented or outdented from the margin.

Hope this helps.

Sherry R

Thank you, Phil. I was going to try your first suggestion, as it sounded like the easiest. However, that would just be negative left and right indents. I assume there's no equivalent for the top, and I want to get it to the top edge, too.

So, the continuous section break sounds like the best solution, but I'll need instruction on doing it. Right now I have it set up with a header and a footer with 0 margins all around (Top, Bottom, Left, Right, and From Edge: Header and Footer). The images from the letterhead look perfect on the screen (when printed, it still leaves the little bit of white space around the edge).

At the moment, if I try typing, it appears on top of the header. I have to hard-return down to get it to the appropriate spot. So, when this document first comes up, there's the page with it's header and footer, how do I do the continuous section break to set the new margins for the text?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sherry:

You can have a different first page header (File/Page Setup.../Layout tab & tick the box). Then you can set the margins for the first page header (on the margin tab) to zero. For the rest of the headers & footers, you can set them to whatever you normally use. Make sure that on the Layout tab, the "apply to" box reads "this point forward". This is the equivalent of putting in a continuous section break at the end of the first page.

If the images still leave white space around the edge of the paper, it's probably because your printer cannot print to the edge of the page. You can try setting negative margins & see if that changes things, but that might be a printer limitation.

Hope this helps.

Sherry R

Hi Phil,

The problem isn't the subsequent pages. Right now I have it set for first page only, so the other pages will be blank. But, if I get this working, I may retain the header and just discontinue the footer. You're right about the printer. It apparently insists on a 2/10 inch margin. By telling Word to ignore the fact that it was outside the printable area, I got it to look right on the screen, but it still doesn't print that way.

The main problem is how to get the text on the page once these headers and footers are set up. This is someone's letterhead. When she wants to e-maill a letter to someone on her letterhead, I was hoping to have it as a template and then just type the letter on that page.

So, this 0 margin header and footer makes the letterhead look right, but when I tried to type on it, I had to do a bunch of hard returns to get below the header and then use tabs and hard returns to make the appropriate side margins. It's possible to do that, but shouldn't be necessary. Is there a way to have these 0 margins for the header and footer and then a "regular" margin for the in-between part of the same page?

Sherry

Thanks

Hi Sherry,

You don't want your picture in front of or behind text, you want the text to wrap - you want your header to keep body text from typing over the top of it.

With pictures and with textboxes you can place them whereever you want without regard to the margins (although they still won't print in the unprintable area of a printer). This is true of top and bottom margins as well as side margins.

I routinely set the header and footer styles in my documents to have a negative .5-inch indent left and right. (This requires changing the right-align tab setting as well.) You don't want to be changing margins, just where the text goes. Please, pretty please, examine the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm#LetterheadTextboxesAndStylesTutorial> Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial </A> that I told you about. Perhaps you have, but I suspect not because I worked hard to show you how to do what you are trying to do in that tutorial. Perhaps I missed. Just use your picture files in place of or in addition to the textboxes.

Don't go changing margins for the page! That is a purpose of the pictures and text boxes.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sherry

What you can do is make the image "float" then it is not restricted to be within the margins.

Right click on the picture and choose format picture. Click the Layout tab then set the Wrapping Style to Square. While you are there set the Scale to 100% under Size tab. Then click on OK

You can then set the margins on the page so that when you begin typing you are below the letterhead.

See the attached Word document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sherry R

Thank you Charles and Melissa!

Yes, I did read the tutorial, but I didn't pay too much attention the first time, since it had to do with the text box and holding space and didn't really instruct me in how to get my picture into the header. The other document you pointed me to did have more step by step instructions on setting up the header, so I used that.

I see at the end of it, you did mention "Square" wrap, which IS one of the choices. I thought you had just said to say "yes" to wrapping and that wasn't an option.

I started from scratch and had lots of problems trying to move the pictures at all. I couldn't figure out how I did it the first time. Then, I went back to Melissa's instruction of the "square" wrap and 100% scale and it seemed to move easier. It might not be perfect, but I think I have it pretty good now.

Melissa, I wasn't sure what you meant by "make the image float" - unless that's just your description of the results of those settings.

As to the header and footer settings, the last time I followed Charles' instructions to set it for the first page only. This time I was more concerned with just getting it, so it's now set for the whole document. Is there a way for me to go back now and change the setting for subsequent pages, or do I need to start over and follow your original instructions?

Again, many thanks to all. I think it's going to work!

Sherry

Thanks

Hi Sherry,

Go into your header and use Ctrl-A to select everything in the header. Cut that into the clipboard.

Then on the header toolbar click on page setup (or layout?) and change the setup to different first page. Close out of that dialog box. You should now have the first-page header box displayed. Paste into that box. You will have an extra paragraph mark at the end of your header. Delete it.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast