Thanks

Downloading Sent Mail from Internet mail

One of the issues I had/have with my ISP (1and1) is that if use the web mail, when I do download the mail to Outlook, all I can download is the Inbox, not any Sent mail.

If I set up an IMAP account in Outlook, the Sent and Inbox will both sync, won't they? So I could do that to get it all, and then, if need be, switch to POP?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    If I set up an IMAP account in Outlook, the Sent and Inbox will both sync, won't they? So I could do that to get it all, and then, if need be, switch to POP?
    You had me up to the switching. Why would you switch? You would just be back where you were.

Thanks
    I wouldn't theoretically. I suppose I'm just trying to really understand the process and how interconnected the tow methods are.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    ... how interconnected the tow methods are.
    They are not interconnected. POP downloads a copy from the server inbox, and optionally deletes the messages from the server inbox after downloading. IMAP creates a local synchronized mirror of most or all of the mailbox on the server.

Thanks
    Jefferson I apologize for sounding so out of it... Here's what I'm wondering and trying to figure out:

I use 1and1 as my ISP. If my Outlook is "not working" I want to be able to use the Web Mail to keep "current." At the same time however, I want to be able, once my Outlook is "fixed", to be able to make sure I download not only the Inbox, which is no problem, but any Sent or other mail as well, which does not happen during a "normal" POP session -- at least not that I have seen or experienced. So...

If I set up my Outlook main account as an IMAP account, then both ends of the equation would always be current, yes? Then once I had Outlook the way I wanted it, if I could just set up the IMAP address to Outlook, it would sync "automatically."

But then I was/am having problems setting up Outlook with "IMAP Only", or even as the Main account. It seems that it "demands" a POP account. So...?

I have no problem with setting up Outlook "from scratch" if that would fix this. Then I could set up all the accounts [as IMAP] and go on from there.

Chuck

Thanks
    It seems that it "demands" a POP account.
    Outlook does not require a POP account. Outlook requires a set of standard local folders for non-email ("PIM") data. Whether you have a POP account or not, Outlook will create those folders. It's not a problem, it just is how it is.

Thanks
    OK, I have my accounts set up. Why do I now have a "Sent" and a "Sent Items" both in the IMAP accounts? Is that something that "just is", or can I remove one or the other?

Should I send something to figger which one is being used to store sent mail, and then assume I can remove the other?

Chuck

Thanks
    I wouldn't delete anything at this point until you determine whether Outlook and webmail are using the same folder. It's possible they are each using a different Sent/Sent Items folder, which would be annoying.

Thanks
    Got it. Thanks, Jefferson.

Chuck