2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking Forms Access 2010 32 bit

I am working with a database created by someone else that I have been asked to modify. I have two forms - on the first form, the user inputs a lot of information about a customer with whom they hope to do business. This is general information with nothing specific about individual transactions. There is a second form that has been designed for inputting details about anticipated transactions. of which there could be multiple though generally just one or two.

There is a unique "analysis ID" field tied to each customer's writeup.

There is a command button on the first form that, when clicked, takes basic information, including that analysis ID, and appends it to the "detailed transactions" table which has it's own autonumber TranID.

I have a one to many relationship set up between the two tables with AnalysisID being the linked field.

My challenge is being able to open frmTransactionDetials with a link to the AnalysisID from the first form so that write up's transaction details appear on that form once opened. I will set it up so the user can scroll through all of the transactions tied to that AnalysisID.

Does this make sense? I do not think it is hard, but I am drawing a blank.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Nancy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The short answer (and the 'standard' solution to this question) is to make the transaction form a subform of the customer form. If need be, for space reasons, the customer form could be tabbed with the transactions shown on a differnt page.

You suggest that data from the customer table is being appended to the transaction table. Only the analysis ID should be present in both tables.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A tabbed form was my recommendation. That is not what the owner and users of the database want. Unfortunately...

They want the forms and data separate but linked.

Nancy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I figured out how to do it.

Nancy