Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need Windows backup?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. Do I need Windows backup to make a backup of my computer and/or the info on my computer or can I use something else like Macrium? Or does Macrium need Windows backup to be able to work. My plan is to put the backup on an ex HD. If so,how do I turn Windows backup off?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You do not have to use Windows Backup. Macrium Free or Pro works just great. I use Macrium Free Edition and have restored the image successfully on several occasions. I would definitely go the image backup route, and then you can just backup your data folders if you like as well.

Unless you have already set up Windows Backup to run on a schedule, you will never know you have it on your system. If you currently have it set up to automatically backup regularly, just type Backup in the Start Menu search field, select Backup and Restore, press Enter, and click Change backup settings.

Check out the Security & Backups Forum for more threads concerning imaging and backup.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2011-11-14),The Mull (2011-11-14)

Thanks
    The 3 favourite backup programs are Windows, Macrium & Acronis to mention only the most popular by members. Not all of the are suitable for certain members Operating System. Pick 1 make a backup then restore it using the Recovery Disc, then try the next one.
    Remember to read the instructions first.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replies. Each day that goes by I get closer to figuring this backup out (with the help of you fine people)

Thanks
    There are a couple of older threads that show step by step instructions for both Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image Home 2011. Check them out. There is an even older thread for Acronis 2010. All these were originally written during the old Lounge so the attachments are all grouped at the bottom.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-14 at 18:42.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Deadeye81, When you say "click change backup settings" are you telling me that in order to turn Windows backup off I need to pick "Let Me Choose" option and then uncheck all boxes in the given list of backup options for folders so that way windows backup wont have anything to backup? Or did I miss something? Thank you.

Thanks
    You do not have to turn Windows Backup on or off. It just sits there like any other app waiting for you to decide whether to use it or not. I believe Gerald was talking about if you have already set up a scheduled task using Win 7 Backup, then you can turn the scheduled backup off if you desire to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have Windows backup set to run on a schedule and the backup is stored on a 500GB HD. Thing is I no longer want to use Windows backup for my backup.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I have never used Windows Backup. I started using Acronis with XP, when there wasn't even a Windows Backup app. As usual, when the feature was added to Vista, it was much less interesting than the paid apps and it still is. Meanwhile, free apps, fully featured, were offered, so there is really no reason to use Windows Backup. Both Macrium and EaseUS Todo Backup are much better and they are free.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If, when I got this computer , I knew there was another way I would have used it. I just knew I needed to make a backup of my system, went out and bought an ex HD, and used the computer to make the backup. Now that I've learned a bit more I realize that wasn't the best choice and I want to make it right. My plan at this time is to use the Macrium app to do the backup after I format the ex HD but I don't want Windows backup in the picture and for some reason I feel it has something to do with the problems I'm having with my backup attempts. I want to know how to remove it from the picture if you know what I mean. If just not using it is the way then I guess I'll figure that out when I make the next backup. I'm gettin' there. Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mull View Post
    If, when I got this computer , I knew there was another way I would have used it. I just knew I needed to make a backup of my system, went out and bought an ex HD, and used the computer to make the backup. Now that I've learned a bit more I realize that wasn't the best choice and I want to make it right. My plan at this time is to use the Macrium app to do the backup after I format the ex HD but I don't want Windows backup in the picture and for some reason I feel it has something to do with the problems I'm having with my backup attempts. I want to know how to remove it from the picture if you know what I mean. If just not using it is the way then I guess I'll figure that out when I make the next backup. I'm gettin' there. Thanks
    All you need is not to use it and it won't affect you in any way.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

The Mull (2011-11-15)

Thanks
    Mull, If you did set up a scheduled backup chore using Win 7 Backup, as Gerald suggested, you can stop the scheduled task. You do not need to do anything else. Win 7 Backup will just sit there as any other unused app. Win 7 Backup is a part of the Win 7 system and as such I do not believe it can be uninstalled, but once you stop the scheduled task, Win 7 Backup won't do anything else except sit there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

The Mull (2011-11-15)

Thanks
    Hi Mull,

As Ted and others related, it is easy to just turn off the scheduled task and ignore Windows Backup. Since you have set up Backup to proceed on an automatic schedule, you can start Task Scheduler, locate the WindowsBackup scheduled task, and disable the task.

You can also go to Control Panel (set the view to Small or Large icons), locate and click on Backup and Restore, and then click Turn off schedule in the left column of the Backup and Restore window.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

The Mull (2011-11-15)

mart44
    I've never used Windows backup but do use Windows 7 disk imaging. It is perhaps worth a mention that these are two different functions. I believe the two can be used in conjunction with each other though. Before the imaging process starts, previously chosen (by the user) files/folders get backed up by Windows backup. This avoids losing files/folders created since the image was made. When the image has been used to restore the system, the backed up files are restored. I haven't bothered with using Windows backup because I usually remember to back recently created file up before using a disk image. I therefore can't say how well that part works. I have experience of using the Windows 7 disk imaging function though. It has always worked very reliably for me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

The Mull (2011-11-15)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mull View Post
    can I use something else like Macrium?
    Mull,
    Hello... After reading this thread i have one caveat ...The last version of Macrium Reflect that works for me (being able to burn and boot from a LINUX recovery disk) With XP-Pro, Vista Home Premium, "7" 32 and 64 bit mix. Is Version 4.2.3638... Version "5" wouldn't boot from there Recovery disk...you can get 4.2.3638 from FileHippo Macrium Reflect If you go with Version "5" just make sure the "Boot Disk" works and when loaded "Sees" your Image (that you just made) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

The Mull (2011-11-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast