Thanks

(SOLVED!) Mac Mini Dual display hookup help

Hey all,

I have a Mac Mini with a dual link (read: no gaps between pins, not two DVI ports) DVI-I port on the back, and I would like to hook it up to both my TV and my monitor. I don't mean having a mirrored image; I won't have both displays on simultaneously. I just want to have both hooked up to the Mac at the same time, so I don't have to keep swapping out the connections to the DVI port, as it will save on wear and tear on the port, as well as be more convenient.

Currently, I connect to the monitor via a single link DVI-I cable, and I connect to the TV via the Apple DVI to Video Adapter. Both work fine by themselves, but when I purchased this DVI y-splitter, and connected both displays to it, neither of them worked. What gives? Is it because the y-splitter is DVI-D to DVI-I, so that the initial connection going to the Mac is digital only? But even if this were true, the monitor would still work, right, since that's DVI? Or is it because the y-splitter is dual link, and both the TV and monitor are single link? Do I need a different connector, and if so, what kind?
    Last edited by Diogones; 2011-12-04 at 04:05.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    I think you need a second Mac.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Very funny Russb! But there may yet be a better way. I have found a USB to DVI cable I might be able to use for one of the connections. I might try it and report back.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    UPDATE: After upgrading my Mini's firmware from 1,1 to 2,1 the DVI to monitor connection works when connected to the y-splitter, but the Apple DVI to Video adapter still will not. I think I might have to find a y-splitter that is comprised of DVI-I to two DVI-I (so that the analog is supported when connecting to TV) rather than my current setup of DVI-D to DVI-I.

Thanks
    Great news! I have found a solution to my dual display issue? I got a VGA to Composite converter box, and it works great! First I hooked the box up to my Mac, using a DVI to VGA adapter, then I was able to plug my monitor in using the VGA-out port, and plug the S-video into the TV. Now I can switch between either display using my display preferences.

I'm marking the thread as solved.