New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 doesn't respond to print requests on network

Hello,

I recently bought a new Win 7 box to replace a failing XP box. The Win 7 (Home Premium 64 bit, 4 Gigs ram, dual core pentium) box is amazing. Great computer wonderful OS. But here is my problem. This new box is the box to which my printers are connected. When the Win 7 box isn't in idle/asleep (or whatever one calls the condition after the alloted - I think 8 minutes - of inactivity, the machine goes to screen saver and a while later the screen goes dark and the machine is basically asleep) sharing its printers is a snap. The other machines on the network (an XP Pro box and a Vista Home Prem 64bit laptop) find the printers on the network, send an order to print, and we have lift off. But, if the Win 7 box is idle/asleep nothing happens, I get error messages on the other machines saying there is an error finding the printers. I have to go and click the mouse (simply moving the mouse thumb-ball is not enough action I must left click the mouse) wait the few seconds for the machine to wake and then re-try the print request. Then I get my printing. So my question is how do I set the Win 7 box to wake from a print(er) request by another machine on the network? I would be grateful for assistance.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Check out this MS TechNet Forum thread for checking the settings necessary for your network card to awaken your sleeping PC.

You may also need to go into your BIOS to see that your hardware supports "Wake on Lan" and that it is enabled. Most likely it is since it is a new PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I did as the TechNet advised and I saw another link there about the same problem. I did that too. One or both things enabled my slepping Win 7 box to receive the print request that I just sent it and wonder of wonders it printed - without waking the Win 7 box. Thanks a bunch for your Help!