Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials - how good is it?

Hi all, my 1st post here.

I've been using the paid, full, version AVG Internet Security & so far have been fairly happy with it. I was told today that it's renowned for false positives & for missing malware, & that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is much better, uses less system resources, & is free.

So, I've been trying to find recent reviews of MSE, both on Windows Secrets & online generally. I found this one, & MSE doesn't come out too well there; definitely didn't do as well as AVG!

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinions & maybe you can point me to other reviews too?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jeff,

Welcome to the lounge as a 1st time poster.

I've been using MSE on all 5 of my machines for well over a year and closer to 2 years w/o a problem. YMMV! I like its unobtrusive demeanor and auto update w/Windows Update. I give it 2 thumbs up.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG,

thanks for the reply.

I just found this WS article by Fred Langa on the review I linked too, so maybe I was too quick to jump on MSE...?

BTW, what's YMMV mean, in your post?

Cheers, Jeff

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Jeff,

No AV app will get it right 100% of the time. There will be false positives (which can be a problem when it happens) and there will be undetected real threats. Whatever app you will use, it should just be seen as a layer in your security strategy and you should consider that today, many of the successful malware attacks rely on active, if not always willing, user colaboration.

As AV apps go, MSE is good enough, IMO. I use it on one of my PCs, as one of two security apps in place. Can't really complain, but I must say that since I started using computers (and that goes quite a good few years back), I never had an infection. What you do, where you go in your browsing habits, what you download and run, will be as important, if not more, than your AV app.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinions & maybe you can point me to other reviews too?
    Jeff,
    Hello.... MSE Is OK ...Depends on how much you like to set up and "Tweak" your security.... If your into completely setting up your security MSE is not the best choice (speaking for myself) I use Norton Internet Security 2012 and Malwarebytes PRO ( both pay for) For some ...Free is the "Prime Directive" and no matter how lacking the program is ...their "sticken with it". Several of us (Old timers) probably could run with no "security" ....because ..we don't go to sites that are questionable, stay away from "social" websites, and seldom click on anything that comes our way... If your interested on adjusting security to your personal needs see this Norton 2011... Ultimately the choice depends on how involved you are and want to be. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, what's YMMV mean, in your post?

"Your mileage may vary."

Thanks
    Hi, Jeff. Count me as another satisfied MSE user. I started to use MSE about two years ago, when I bought a netbook and wanted a good anti-virus program that wouldn't have too heavy a footprint. I'd heard good things about it, and in fact I was so pleased with it that when I bought a new desktop earlier this year, I put MSE on it as well. I guess I don't have PlainFred's desire to tweak my security programs. Indeed, one of the things I like about MSE is that I haven't felt any need to tweak it. I just set it and pretty much forget it, and it seems to do its job well. I also agree with ruirib about the AV program being just a piece of one's security defenses. I also use Malwarebytes Pro, WinPatrol Plus, and the Windows Firewall, along with that terrific security program, common sense.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MSE is very highly thought of, OP; you did well to find a bad review. I don't use it myself, as I'm happy with Avast!, especially the latest version.

Thanks
    I second what RG mentioned above. I'm using MSE on 4 separate PC's in my home and set it up on 3 PC's in my kids and mom's home. All have NEVER been successfully attacked (My mom is over 80 and is not very computer savy). I think this speaks very highly of MSE.

To be honest I also use a multilayered approach. I have MSE running in real time and use MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D for manual scans. I use Online Armor++ S/W firewall on 2 of my PC's and Windows Firewall on the remaining. I also have a hardware firewall in my router. As Rui states no single app will catch 100% of the nasties out there. That is way many discuss some sort of multilayered approach such as what I use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    Hi all, my 1st post here.

I've been using the paid, full, version AVG Internet Security & so far have been fairly happy with it. I was told today that it's renowned for false positives & for missing malware, & that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is much better, uses less system resources, & is free.

So, I've been trying to find recent reviews of MSE, both on Windows Secrets & online generally. I found this one, & MSE doesn't come out too well there; definitely didn't do as well as AVG!

Thanks
    If you are happy with AVG then I see no reason whatsoever to change based on subjective opinion.

I have used MSE since it came out and I am satisfied with it's operation. I have chosen to use MSE based on my personal comforts and needs.
    Your preferences, opinions, and needs may vary considerably from mine.

If you are wanting to try out MSE, I recommend that you make a full system image of your operating system prior to uninstalling AVG.
    This way if there are any issues you may restore your known good working operating system with the AVG installation.

Thanks
    I use MSE on all three of my machines.(2 machines running W7 64 bit. 1 Machine running Vista 32 Bit) It is great especially for a free program, I use it in conjunction with Super-Anti-Spyware. I also run Malware Bytes once a week and I have Java Cools Spyware Blaster installed. I feel i m well protected. Since 1993 when I got my 1st PC I have only been attacked no more the 5 times and what ever protection I was running caught the nasty item.

Thanks
    Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RA...-Oct11-850.jpg

Do a "+" magnify for a better view.
    Last edited by 1PW; 2011-11-17 at 14:32.
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PW View Post
    There might be a thousand words in that picture! Never realized there were so many products out there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bet Kingsoft are pleased

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PW View Post

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RA...-Oct11-850.jpg

Do a "+" magnify for a better view.
    A very interesting chart and underlying article. I visit the Virus Bulletin site occasionally for extra background, but find it difficult to agree with the presentation of their results sometimes.

A case in point: notice in the chart how Microsoft Security Essentials has a modest rating, based on one test (it being coloured red in the chart), whereas Microsoft Forfront has a much better performance - almost getting itself into the leading group. OK, you might ask, what's the issue? Well, they are essentially the same product. Forefront endpoint, as far as I know, is a re-branded MSE engine with a centrally managed interface designed for a commercial environment. So, if my understanding is correct (please tell me if I'm wrong), the spread of between MSE and Forefront seems rather large and could possibly be due to repeat tests or multiple results.

If that last observation is true, how then can a similar product perform so differently to achieve the results presented? Hence I'm back to my origninal point that I find it difficult to agree with the presentation of their results. I can't argue against the substance, but without detailed information of the testing methods and conclusions, one must use a degree of common sense when interpreting a distribution such as this.

My take on it is: don't go with the outliers, but look for other information about a particular product in the main field, such as resource use, after sales support and user base. Pick one that suits your needs, use it in conjunction with other security layers and practice safe internet use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast