4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any Lightroom 3 users?

Just got Lightroom 3 and am trying it out but ran into a problem early in that it won't display the contents of some photo folders as thumbnails initially during the first step, the import process.

For instance two folders in the same directory, same type of images, one for 1680x1050 wallpapers and one for 1920x1200 and 1080 wallpapers. I click on the 1680x1050 folder and get the message no photos found. I click on the 1920x1200 folder and get a thumbnail build right away. Continuing on down the list of folders, some display right away, others do not and if they have subfolders, none of the subfolders display either.

Seems bizarre to me. Everything has the same permissions and I'll check hidden files to see if there's something common to the non-displaying folders but other than that its a mystery to me.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, its been a couple days and I've made no headway. Just for giggles I started to check out network locations and in one location, same problem, it states no images available but in another (my Mom's photo collection) it belches out the thumbnails like there's no tomorrow...so I guess if I just wanted to edit those I'm golden!

Maybe its as simple as file format eh? I assumed it supported .bmp but maybe not...

Well, that must be it, even though I had a couple jpg files in with the bmp files which it didn't display either...it must have been because there were so many bmp files and they are not supported. In the words of the late Chris Farley, "Man, that sucks!"
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-11-17 at 16:56.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You didn't mention BMPs in your original post. LR Supported file formats:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroo...1965BF24B.html

AFAIK, none of the RAW conversion tools support BMP files except maybe ACDSee Pro, and even then, I think its supports them as part of its DAM, but not for processing and conversion.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'bout time they figured out how to support them no?

I prefer .bmp since I have plenty of room and because even at 100% quality I can sometimes detect small jpg artifacts at color borders. Only when zoomed way in but still; bothers me to know they're there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    I prefer .bmp since I have plenty of room and because even at 100% quality I can sometimes detect small jpg artifacts at color borders. Only when zoomed way in but still; bothers me to know they're there.
    Try PNG (full 24 bit). Lossless compression and broad application support. Preferred here in the Lounge for screen shots for years.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll have to check it out, see how compatible the format is with the rest of my image applications and organizers.
    That would mean converting tens of thousands of images but that's what computers are good at.

Thanks
    That would mean converting tens of thousands of images but that's what computers are good at.
    How did you end up with tens of thousands of BMP images?? Did you convert all your JPEGs? I think it's best to leave images in their native format until you actually need to edit them, but perhaps that's the lazy talking.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I edited the jpg and saved as bmp. Also when I vid cap I do so in bmp not jpg. I just checked and my favorite frame capture program (KMPlayer) also has png available but it has the word slow in parenthesis next to it so that might be a bit too processor intensive to capture hi-def on the fly. I'm sure it will do so faithfully but the capture process already falls behind the frame rate of the video with bitmap and that is marked as fast, so....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'bout time they figured out how to support them no?
    Actually, no, they shouldn't. BMPs are persona non-grata in photography. And here's why. BMPs are huge, much larger than .tif files, which is also a lossless format and just as high quality as a BMP. BMP is a proprietary Windows format and is not universally supported. TIFF and JPG are supported every where, and many print houses will not accept anything but a TIFF for publication. BMPs are 8 bit files and don't support embedding the color space. The later two items are critical in digital photography and publishing today. In fact, the issue of 16 bit is why the GIMP will never be a mainstream editing tool. It doesn't support 16 bit files. TIFF also supports layers which for PhotoShop users is life and death. BMP doesn't. PNG is a great format and I had high hopes for it. But it was primaraly a non-licensed replacement for the GIF format. PNG simply has not caught on as a primary format in serious digital photography.

Sound like you're shooting .jpg? Does your camera support RAW? That's really the biggest reason to use Lightroom and what it was build for to begin with. All RAW edits are non-destructive in pretty any RAW conversion software. In fact, the original file is never even modified. The edits are only applied on the export. The same applies to working JPG files in Lightroom. The edits do not occur directly to the file. Only on export. So if you need to work the JPG in Lightroom, export to TIFF and finish the file from there. Then save the final output as a 100% JPG. Unless you are printing bigger than an 8x10, you'll never see the flaws. Getting back to RAW, if your camera supports it and you're not using it, I recommend you check it out. You have full control over the file because the camera does not apply any processing or compression like it does to a JPG file. You're final output will be far superior to a jpg file out of the camera. What evert the case, you might want to rethink using BMP as your primary working format or for final output.

As a workflow example, I shoot in RAW (which really aren't 16 bit files, but 12 bit). I make the edits my RAW conversion tool (in my case, Bibble, in yours LightRoom) using ProPhoto as the working color space. I want the absolute most latitude I can get in my out put. Export to 16 bit TIFF, pull it into PhotoShop for some final cleanup. Final output is a 100% JPG for anything I intend to sell or print larger than a 5x7. 95% compression for snap shots and personal use. JPG unfortunately is only 8 bit, not to mention the web and most print services want sRGB as the color space. But all that's OK because the final JPG won't get edited. If I need to make a change I go back the original RAW file as the software maintains a history of all the edits.
    Chuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I know pretty much all that, I was just looking for something simple where I could apply effects to several hundred or more images very quickly, without changing them permanently, pick out the ones that turn out the best and move on...sort of a quick mass effect for the hobbyist, nothing serious or for professional use.

I can do that with PSP X4 but the setup is a bit quirky and I have to make copies of all the images to preserve the originals.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Then convert to TIFF instead of BMP and call it day. You have the right tool, just not the right approach. You'll use less disk space also.
    Chuck