Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    A technician will never go through all that gobbledegook to clean up a HD.
    They (I) would just take out the hard drive and connect it as a slave to a fully protected computer, with a good 'package' of anti malware software installed. With the drive connected as a slave, nothing on that drive can run, so any file(s) can be scanned, cleaned and deleted if necessary. Chkdsk /r/f can also be run on the drive to eliminate any HD errors.

If the drive does not behave when put back in its own case, it can be reconnected to the 'repair' computer and all the data files can be saved to DVD's for permanent safe keeping. Then the drive can be wiped and reformatted, prior to putting it back in its own case and reinstalling the OS.

I think in the past ten years, I've only reinstalled an OS about three times, out of the hundreds of PC's I've worked on, where the OS was so damaged by viruses that it could not be fixed. During the reformat process, so many little things get deleted, that the computer will never be the same again.
    For that very reason, I backup my entire C: drive at least once a week, with Ghost 11.5, run from a DOS boot disk.
    There is NO replacement for a nice clean Backup, in the can, so to speak, when disaster strikes.

PS: A properly protected PC will never get infected in the first place. In the past ten years, not ONE of my customers has ever gotten infected with a virus. I provide everyone with a Great Package of Anti-Malware software (all FREE).
    "The best anti-malware software in the world is 100% FREE"
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As always Dr., you provide sound advice, but you must have been very lucky not to encounter a boot sector virus, rootkit or a DNS hijack/proxy server attack, let alone a worm. Unfortunately, in those cases the slave drive method is not as effective as it could be.

If a malware attack changes a DNS setting or re-directs internet traffic to a proxy, one can scan for and remove the original infection from the slave but the re-direction settings will still be present.

Perhaps these types of infection are more prevalent in the UK than US? In one case, it puzzled me why the infection had taken hold so deeply, so I dropped in a few probing questions to the owner, only to get this reply:

"yes there were messages about viruses or something. I've seen a lot of them recently but thought it must have been glitch because I've got antivirus.".

To say I was speechless is an understatement.

:
    :
    :

@RussB: you should also consider a System Restore from safe mode. It does sound like a TDSS rootkit and often (but not always) they are non-functional from safe mode as long as you don't enable networking. Remember to reboot into safe mode to complete the System Restore.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    so what is that great package ??
    no link to it
    no url
    no name
    no nothing

stop teasing
    and let us know what package works so well

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    so what is that great package ??
    no link to it
    no url
    no name
    no nothing

stop teasing
    and let us know what package works so well
    Well. Dr.Who wants you to be a sleuth
    I tell you the secret ,haha
    Click on his name > Visit his website > Look for this:Security URL List My preferred list of Computer Security programs.

However, prevention is much better than a cure.
    For starters use a sandboxed browser with the help of Sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/
    or BufferZone http://www.trustware.com/
    Properly adjusted and set up ,it will go a long way in preventing trash from reaching your system.

Pete.
    Last edited by DiggerP; 2011-12-01 at 16:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get house calls for this virus on a regular basis. It changes names but it always does the same thing. I've seen the "Privacy Protection" about 10 times in the last week on XP machines. There was a similar virus about a year ago that really locked up the OS. Out of all the times I've dealt with these, I've only had to reinstall XP once. You have to boot into safe mode and then run Malewarebytes. Also check your start up in "msconfig" and un-check the program. I also run asearch in the registry, "regedit, edit, find" and search for and delete any instance of the software. Only do this if your familiar with the registry.- Most techs don't want to take the time to clean a drive. They wipe out and re install. I tell people that the best anti virus is safe surfing. And BACK UP - BACK UP - BACK UP. But somehow people still seem to manage to get infected no matter what kind of protection they install. And they don't even know IF they have a back up. I have never been infected, and I use a free AV and scan once a week with Spybot and Malewarebytes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Trojan causing havoc with XP

Try Combofix. It has bailed me out many times with the nasties.
    Download the latest official version of ComboFix (2.8mb) save to your desktop
    http://www.combofix.org/
    Also www.technibble.com/ has some really good free tools to combat viruses. Check it out.
    http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-tools/
    Copy them to a USB drive or CD. They will come in handy.

Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe try this ...

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

I haven't read this whole thread, and maybe someone else has already mentioned this, but here it is anyway.

This used to find the most insidious viruses on my XP system and zap them. Since I've moved to Windows 7 (not to long ago) I haven't had to use 'stinger' yet, but I keep the most current version available.

Thanks
    Many thanks for all the helpful suggestion if nothing else I learned a few things with this one, part of which is that there is a LOT of knowledge on this forum.
    When "ComboFix" did not find anything I decided to start over.
    Saturday night I formatted the HDD and installed the OS and a couple of the original programs.
    After several boots and visits to Windows Update center the old system is running VERY good and the owner is happy, costing her nothing and me about 6-7 hours of time. It was an investment in "family" so well worth the effort.
    As this was for my wife's sister they are now both happy and "Happy Wife, Happy Life."

Again, thank you all.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    PS: A properly protected PC will never get infected in the first place. In the past ten years, not ONE of my customers has ever gotten infected with a virus. I provide everyone with a Great Package of Anti-Malware software (all FREE).

DrWho,

If you don't mind, would you just 'tick' off the names of ALL of your 'free' software that you are referring to. I just want to make sure I'm not missing one. I have most of the ones recommended from this forum ... i.e., Malwarebytes, iobits, avast, advanced system care, etc. Am I missing anything? I just switched to 'Windows 7' about 5 months ago, joined "Windows Secrets" and put all 'security' programs' recommended in place right away. So far no problems. But I just dread the day when something like the problem mentioned in this forum happens, and knocking on wood that it never does. Thanks.

Thanks
    Only if the computer operator is savvy enough to NOT click on things they shouldn't. Any poorly trained or naive operator will outsmart any and all protective software every time. I have seen it done.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Only if the computer operator is savvy enough to NOT click on things they shouldn't. Any poorly trained or naive operator will outsmart any and all protective software every time. I have seen it done.
    true for existing hardware/software. BUT it *is* possible to *architect* and design a 100% scumware proof pc.
    I did that back in the DOS days. But nobody would pay for it.
    Could do it for a windows type graphic style interface pc too. But not unless somebody pays for it up front.

With reports of corporate databases being hacked on a regular basis and other countries hacking into DoD and other classified data why doesn't the government or a corporate consortium fund the development of a totally scumware proof pc ?

If it is **architected** into the hard/soft wares it can be done. There is no way to tack on security after the fact. And AV software will always be behind the power curve trying t oatch up to the hackers methods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12