2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wagon Wheel Chart

Hi Experts,

Is it possible to create a Wagon Wheel chat in Excel? Tried searching on net could not find any. I have attached a picture of a Wagon Wheel chart

Regards
    Baiju
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Baiju G Nath; 2011-11-16 at 05:31. Reason: Picture attached

Thanks
    Thankfully, I don't think so - at least not without a lot of work and doughnut charts.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    I would use a column chart instead. It is tough to tell visually the relative ratios of pie section areas which makes your representation a poor way to display data.

If you really want the wheel, the built-in radar chart I think would show those relationships better than your chart as well

Steve

PS. I presume that the chart is only "representative" of what it should look like since it does not seem to be setup correctly. The numbers are hard to read, but the largest segment seems to be "44" and the smallest lists "10". The larger area is much more than 4.4x larger than the smaller area. It seems to me to be closer than 20x larger in area...

Or are you purposely misrepresenting the data by using the numbers as the radii rather than areas?
    Last edited by sdckapr; 2011-11-16 at 08:09.

Thanks
    Rory,
    I don't think this could be done with doughnuts. I think it would require several individual overlapping/stacked pie charts with most sections hidden or by using a macro to actual place pie segments as objects in the appropriate location on a page (ie not creating a "chart" at all, but a collection of objects)

It would be more cumbersome to create than it would to actually interpret...

Steve

Thanks
    I think it could, but it would take a lot of effort to get everything to line up properly.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    I think it could, but it would take a lot of effort to get everything to line up properly.
    I did not think doughnut charts had an option for creating the full "wedge". I thought the min hole size is 10%... If you don't care about the hole, it's not that hard, it just is difficult to calc the radii to get the area and set up the required "resolution" (how many rings outward 100, 500, 1000?)

Steve

Thanks
    You would need a pie for the middle bit, yes - I had forgotten that limitation - but you could 'just' superimpose a doughnut chart over the top for the rest.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    Excellent point. It would be easier to superimpose one pie within a doughnut than to superimpose 7 pies to match individual segments.

Steve