New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista nightmare stops upgrade to Win7

I wanted to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. The upgrade disk said I needed to download Vista SP1 first. i did that and when I started the upgrade again, it told me there were corrupt file and I needed to run chkdsk. I did so and it ran for almost 24 hours, the most time taking step 4. When the process finished, it rebooted and the laptop acted funny. I shut down and rebooted again and it would not start up. It ran the "startup repair process" and could not fix the problem. It will not boot up into Vista in regular Windows, but I was able to boot up into safe mode. What do I do now to try to restore the laptop. PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by loumajestic View Post
    It will not boot up into Vista in regular Windows, but I was able to boot up into safe mode. What do I do now to try to restore the laptop. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Lou,
    Hello... I'm pretty sure that they meant for you to install SP-1 before proceeding.. There are a few things that you can try...

1. When booting and you can access the BIOS Menu ( not BIOS configure) try to enter that and select the Vista HD and select enter...It might boot into windows normally.

2. If that fails boot into "Safe Mode" and try to run system restore ...

3. If that is a "no go" run an "Elevated Command Prompt" and enter sfc/scannow (system file checker)

4. When you ran chkdsk did you use any "Switches" ? Like /F or /R

Post back with your results Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will follow up, but wanted you to know that I was able to boot into safe mode and chose to use last good configuration. I am now in Vista with SP1, but, for instance, none of my MS Office programs will work, and it says it can not find a solution. if I uninstall office and reinstall, will I be able to open my saved work?

Also, there were no switches, it was checkdisk from the tools menu.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by loumajestic; 2011-11-16 at 14:38.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Lou,

There is one factor here that is still unknown, which is what errors your disk had. I would say that it is likely that your documents are ok, but I can't really say so definitively, not without knowing what info was given by chkdsk.

If your documents are ok, that is, unaffected by disk errors, you will be able to open them once the issue with office is solved.

Thanks
    When you ran CHKDSK from the tools menu, did you insure the fix disk error box was checked? You can find the results of the check disk run by following here the instructions given here:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

J
    erry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the help. With some work, I seem to be back up and running. I think upgrading to W7 is out now. Just to afraid of more issues. Thanks again to all!!

Thanks
    There is a well documented and commonly used method to perform a clean install of Win 7 using the upgrade media. Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite shows this method very clearly. It sounds as though you were attempting the Upgrade route rather than the Custom (Clean) install route. I have heard and read of many more problems using the Upgrade route rather than the Custom install route.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lou,
    You asked whether you will be able to reopen your saved work. I hope you have copies of your work saved in more than one location. If you don't, sooner or later you WILL lose it - guaranteed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a suspicion that the SP1 upgrade is required before a Win7 upgrade for two reasons - one to ensure a few files needed for Win 7 upgrade are in place and two to ensure your PC WILL run Win 7. The fact you have successfully passed the SP1 upgrade suggests to me you should be able to move to Win 7 without much trouble (except for the time it takes!)

When I tried to upgrade my wife's Fujitsu laptop I hit the SP1 issue and couldn't work out why SP1 wasn't already installed. Turned out I had to flash the laptop's BIOS and update a couple of programs before I could update to SP1. However, upgrading from there to Win 7 introduced only one more problem - invalid task scheduler files that prevented Windows Backup from running. Fixing that using instructions easily found on the web left a much better performing laptop - worth the hassle.

I would however recommend doing a system image backup of your current setup beforehand, if all goes belly up you can easily get back to where you are now.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Classic case - IMHO

I write this without having had the time to read all the other replies that you have already.
    Quote Originally Posted by loumajestic View Post
    ... to download Vista SP1 first. i did that and when I started the upgrade again, it told me there were corrupt file and I needed to run chkdsk.
    Did you apply SP1? That is did you run the downloaded installer? I bet it would have failed as well.

What you describe means you have a Vista machine that still in Nov. 2011 did not have ANY SP installed. Vista is AFAIK on SP2!

All the other steps you describe are hinged on the fact that most likely a long time ago some malicious piece of software, like a Rootkit or some Trojan got on your machine and remained undetected. Then in turn that suppressed update notifications and you never realized your operating system was getting critically outdated.

Your machine seems to be seriously hosed. My recommendation would be a complete re-format and re-install from scratch because it will be faster than attempting to salvage your system as it seems to be now.

Tomorrow I will have time to read the rest of the thread and take in the flaming that I expect for replying spontaneously. I ask everybody's forgiveness.

Update 12-02-11:
    Now I have read all the other posts and your replies and I am a bit surprised.

Are you still on SP1? If your Vista is running anything resembling normal then it should be permanently pestering you with update notifications.

If you are now on SP2 I would assume things are close to normal but you did not confirm that and I am afraid you still have one or several Rootkits (likely from the TDSS family) and subsequently downloaded and invisible Vundo trojans, downloaders and so on.

What anti-virus are you using?

Is your computer performing as it was when it was new or is it sluggish, like when you right click any file, for example for cut/paste? This is one of the symptoms of many Rootkit infections.

Generally, I wonder why none of the previous commentators even raised the question of virus infection. You got replies from an illustrious selection of experienced helpers (I don't count myself in that group!).

BTW, I second Ted Meyers remark about not doing an in-place upgrade from Vista to 7 but rather doing a full install. I have an abysmal experience with a botched upgrade, botched by HP by the way. Their upgrade media was doing the wrong thing!

Good luck with your saga - if you are still following this thread at all.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2011-12-02 at 06:54. Reason: I finally read the whole thing.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin