Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What you can do about soaring hard-drive prices

TOP STORY

By Woody Leonhard

Floods in Thailand and an ensuing worldwide purchasing panic have pushed the price of hard drives to nosebleed heights and left us all with fewer choices.
    Here's what you need to know about the crisis, the fallout, and what you can do about it.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/What-you-can-do-about-soaring-hard-drive-prices/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an FYI - I found this price which was excellent according to your story - but limited to one per purchase.HDPrices.JPG

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great Article

I just wanted to say how impressed I was by the article on the spiking of hard drive prices. It not only made us aware of the pricing spike, but also seemed to accurately cover the business, political, and operational reasons behind it. Very well thought out and compiled!

This user has been Banned
    Thanks

Kudos

Yes, great article, but too bad you didn't tip us off a month ago.

In the mean time, I have 2 delete keys, just gotta get my wife to use 'em.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the explanation of increased hard drive prices and advice on how to play the situation, Woody! However, you probably should have used a euphemism other than offal (
    When the offal hits the fan
    ) to describe the particular conditions that dealt the coup de grace to the manufacturing facilities. Offal refers to the usually-discarded internal organs and entrails of a butcheredanimal, not its feces.

Thanks
    Good article on a bad situation. Or maybe I should have said "an offal situation".

I do have to take exception about the accusation of price gouging. In any business, your price is your throttle. Raise your price and your sales slow, lower your price and your sales increase. To sell something you have to have it. If you can get an unlimited number of things you can offer them for a lower, more competitive price and assuming the demand is there you will sell enough so the small profits from each unit accumulate. But if that thing becomes scarce and you keep your price low you will run out really quickly and will not be able to pay your mortgage and payroll next month. Fortunately there is a remedy: raising prices slows sales. So you must raise your price to a level where the sales are about equal to the supply. If the supply is suddenly very poor and the demand is high then you will have to raise your prices a lot. And you had better not wait to see if the problem will by some miracle resolve itself, because miracles only happen in books and movies. So prices tend to go up fast and stay there until sellers know how much product they can get on an ongoing basis.

In a case like this everyone from Seagate and WD to the corner computer store is struggling to survive. That guy who will only sell you a drive if you buy the computer is not a giant warehouse wholesaler. He makes his living putting together computers and selling them to local people. Even at 3x inflated prices he might only make fifteen or twenty dollars on that drive because you can bet that his suppliers have jacked up his prices, too. But selling that drive to someone off the street who would probably never come in his shop again might prevent him from selling a computer that will make him a few hundred dollars and to a regular, loyal customer who will return for other things. Which would you do?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the case of Seagate, They are only here for the money. Just look what they did with 7200.11. Now there is a wonderful piece junk. Around 22% failure rate in the field. When that was going on they denied they had a problem. So a bunch of us that had a 5yr warranty on that product got 90 days on a re-certified HDD that we got in its place. So what does that mean for you and I who buy their products ? We get the short end of the stick again. Steve Luczo will be paid millions for gouging their customers. Corporate Greed at its best.

Thanks
    @Pops1944;
    I bought one and never heard about problems with barracuda 7200.11 BUT have a $9.95 exchange in transit right now....Wow!!
    Mine started to making a clunk noise and few weeks later just quit all together.

GAD"S !!!
    I just discovered that I have another 7200.11 as one of my backup drives
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-11-17 at 21:54. Reason: added text

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSpence View Post
    Just an FYI - I found this price which was excellent according to your story - but limited to one per purchase.HDPrices.JPG
    I went to BestBuy.com, then called their 800 Number to confirm the current pricing. The Rep on the phone allowed me to make two separate orders, to be shipped separately, to my one address using my one card and my one Rewards Zone Membership Number. I await actual shipments and delivery, but only one confirmation of shipment email has arrived by day's end. The $50.00 (USD) price is very reasonable, provided these are not the older, defective Seagate drives (firmware flaw, since updated). It appears that the policy in force is one per order, not one per customer. In any event, supplies are likely to be short. Holiday Return Policy gives us until Jan. 4, 2012 to make any returns, and returns are handled by local Best Buy stores.

Please, folks, don't buy more drives than you need. This would only make matters worse for all of us.

I needed two drives because I am adding two Operating Systems to two laptops -- Windows 8 Developer Preview on my Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite and Ubuntu Linux on my Windows XP WinBook. Linux and Windows use very different file systems, so formatting a single external drive to work with both OSes is a bit dicey. Acronis True Image is not my choice for backing up Linux, as there are native Linux tools which produce more compact Linux System Backups.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-11-21 at 06:06.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davimill View Post
    Thanks for the explanation of increased hard drive prices and advice on how to play the situation, Woody! However, you probably should have used a euphemism other than offal () to describe the particular conditions that dealt the coup de grace to the manufacturing facilities. Offal refers to the usually-discarded internal organs and entrails of a butcheredanimal, not its feces.
    That WAS a euphemism!

Backspacer (above) does not understand what the article was talking about. The alleged "shortages" are not responsible for the price spikes. Hoarding and speculation are playing a major role, along with good old-fashioned FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). I have seen similar rumor-mongering and price and availability squeezing on various computer components every Holiday Buying Season since 2000. This is not normal market forces at work.

Yes, there has been a terrible disaster. Yes, supplies are being disrupted. But no, there is no long-term reality behind the disappearance of drives from store shelves. This holiday shortage will ease considerably by mid-January 2012. And Hard Drive prices will fall accordingly. Mark my words.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-11-17 at 23:37.
    -- Bob Primak --

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    just got 2 gigs at office supply store for $99
    they had a good supply of disks

went to MEI
    they had **piles** of them on the floor
    same price range
    sign said limit two
    but no apparent shortage
    and prices not raised over their usual price

Thanks
    Does anyone have good stable suggestion on a 1TB drive?

I now have 2 barracuda 7200.11 being replaced and "Now" wonder if the replacements are going to be any better.

In the past, I've been a Seagate fan since my scuzzy cheetah day's...but these 2 repl is getting thin.

Thanks
    What's MEI ?

Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    just got 2 gigs at office supply store for $99
    they had a good supply of disks

went to MEI
    they had **piles** of them on the floor
    same price range
    sign said limit two
    but no apparent shortage
    and prices not raised over their usual price

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was in Best Buy this week and purcased a network 3T external drive for $169. And the internal drive inventory was fully stocked as well. Like the pumpkin shortage this fall on the East coast, this HDD situation seems to not be affecting us here in Indiana either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    What's MEI ?
    Micro Center. Old company name from their days as an online sales site and catalogue sales company. My local stores do not guarantee any web posted prices or availability. Check (in person) with your local Micro Center store.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast