Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Q about Remote Assistance in Corp. Setting

Our IT dept. is rolling out Win7 Pro. We'd previously used UltraVNC on the XP clients, but I think Remote Assistance can do the job for us. My supervisor asked me to find out this one question: Is the User's permission required when the Help Desk initiates the RA?

We ask because there are times when we NEED to get in - the user's unavailable or can't get in, etc.
    Mike W.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Remote Assistance requires local user input. You could use remote desktop, though.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Crud. RDP isn't as 'flexible' for our needs as RA is.
    Mike W.

Administrator
    Thanks
    There seems to be a mode that could be of interest for this, but I can't be sure whether it will require local user input:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ff356868.aspx

Check the 3rd option. The link is not clear whether this mode requires local user input. If there is the possibility, this seems to the only way. I didn't know about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Mike68847 (2011-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can find more info on Remote Assistance on this document from Microsoft.
    It seems your scenario is actually possible, after the definition of certain policy settings. The document linked explains it.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-16 at 18:02.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Mike68847 (2011-11-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'll pas this on, but I think it could work for us.
    Mike W.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never been able to find a way to disable user permission in RA. When all is said and done, that's for your protection though. Do you, or your manager really want the responsibility of having access to potentially sensitive data? Or if something is amiss after the fact, who will the user (perhaps the HR director or CEO?) point the finger at? I fought this exact same battle 18 months ago. Our PCs were not on the domain and users had full admin rights. The remote control tool was either ZenWorks or VNC. When we deployed 7, we put them on the domain with a policy that locks the screen after 15 minutes. So even if I could remote control with asking permission, I won't know their password anyway. That's pretty much standard practice in most IT shops. The biggest complaint from almost all of IS was, "how will remote control them and support them when they aren't at their desks?". My response was, why are we doing that to begin with? Once we started rolling out, it turned out that it wasn't an issue at all. Use RDP for doing things that don't require the user to be logged in. RA for times when they do. Just require them to be present. I gotta be honest, if I can't work directly with a user when they are reporting a problem, I can't be fully effective in coming to a resolution. Food for thought anyway. We still have some XP PCs that are scheduled to be replaced. The staff now can't wait to get rid of them because they find RA and RDP so much easier and faster to use than other solutions.

RA can be set for minimal user intervention though. Using the above referenced Win7 Resource Kit document, I created a network share with Authenticated Users/Full Control. Then on the Win7 image I have a short cut called "Remote Control Request" pointing to the VBScript below. The user doesn't have to enter a password because its built into the script. And since its an easy generic one, you already know it. And there is no security risk because the ticket has an expiration and is encrypted. A few seconds after they initiate the request, all you have to do is watch the share for the ticket file and double click on it to make the connection. the script will create a file named like this: userid-2011-11-2@10.29.msrcincident. As you can see in the ticketname line you can modify the namer any way you want.

Set WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

strUser = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%username%")
    strPassword = "yourgenericpassword"
    strPath = "\\servername\sharename"
    strTicketName = strUser & "-" & Year(Now) & "-" & Month(Now) & "-" & Day(Now) & "@" & Hour(Now) & "." & Minute(Now)
    strFilePath = strPath & StrTicketName

strRA = "msra.exe /saveasfile" & " " & Chr(34) & strFilePath & Chr(34) & " " & strPassword

WshShell.Run strRA
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-11-17 at 14:40. Reason: Correct some typos
    Chuck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

Mike68847 (2011-11-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, that's outstanding! I'll pass this on, too.

Thanks again.
    Mike W.