New Lounger
    Thanks

Microtek 9800XL - WIN 7/firewire scanner problem

Having taken the plunge from XP to WIN7 on a new Lenovo desktop, I've run into this problem.

My Microtek 9800XL scanner, which I use daily, has a problem. I've installed a new PCI Express IEEE card on the PC to provide firewire connectivity. Using Microtek ScanWizard Pro 7.132 downloaded from the Microtek site, the scanner works OK (but s-l-o-w-l-y) using the USB connection, but hangs using the firewire connection.

When connected just via firewire and the "scan button" is clicked on - it starts its calibrating routine, i.e. recognizes the scanner, thence hangs. Can't cancel the process need to do a forced shutdown & reboot.

I've called Microtek & they say to update the "drivers" and that firewire is a little more touchy than the USB interface. WHAT? That's your product you are talking about!. Yah! Which drivers? Sorry for the vent.

I've used a driver update program (forgot which) & downloaded a couple of new drivers, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

I've also ordered a SCSI card & will punt the firewire card (anybody need an almost new card?) & see if the SCSI connection works.

Have fun & peace....

Thanks
    Did you actually try the drivers directly from Microtek? I do not trust most of these driver update apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Other than the OS, the drivers and plugins have not changed for years. Needed to load them with my brand new W7 box.

It appears that the problem is with the calibration activity. The TWAIN program (Scanmaker Pro) starts the scanner, which then enters a calibration mode. The scanner then times out in about 5 min or so. There is the probem. It works just fine with a USB connection.

Sounds like the firmware has to be upgraded to accept the Firewire command. Then again, what would I know, I just started my career on an IBM 360/30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to find the LEGACY driver, rebooted & it works fine now.
    Here are the steps:

1- Click the Windows Start Button or Key, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane
    3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."
    4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
    5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.
    6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver.
    7. Re-boot your PC.