Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Changing location of Documents, Pictures and Video folders for users

Background: Our corp. creates a folder (C:\Data) on laptops and desktops and redirects My Documents there for nightly backup purposes. Now that we are rolling out Windows 7, we want to modify this a bit as we prepare to redirect them to the servers sometime next year (or later). Our Users make use of Documents, Pictures and - to a lesser degree - videos.

My Questions:
    1. Is there a way to use a script or Group Policy so that all Users logging on to a machine for the first time have their My Documents redirected from C:\Users\<username>\Documents to C:\Data\<username>\Documents? (We are using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 (MDT 2010)) to create images for our machines - if that helps or makes a difference.)
    2. If the above can be done, can we also redirect the My Pictures and My Videos folders to be sub-folders of C:\Data\<username>\Documents?
    3. If (1) and (2) can be done, how would it affect the Search Index settings?
    4. We plan to introduce the concept of Libraries next year; we don't plan to ever use the Public folder in them. Can they be safely & easily deleted for all users - current and future - on all machines?
    Many thanks in advance for your time!
    Mike W.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Got an answer just now on the TechNet Win7 forum:

The locations for Documents, Pictures etc is found in the registry for each user:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and User Shell Folders.

You should be able to change the locations using for instance Group Policy Preferences which is perfect for setting registry settings with ease.

And the content will be indexed when doing this...
    Mike W.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Question: if I do this to an existing account, will Win7 move the locations automagically on next start? Or will I have irreparably fouled up the install?