New Lounger
    Thanks

"Setting scanner error" woes

Hello All,
    Put on your thinking caps and crank up the wayback machine... I have been scanning old family albums but recently I started getting this error - "Setting Scanner Error. Please check your cable or power connections." I think the error message is bogus because 1) it pops after having already scanned several items, and 2) the scanner will still Preview the scanner bed.

I am using a Memorex 6142u Scanner connected to a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop running WinME and PhotoShop 6.0. The problem started slowly usually raising the error after scanning 30 or photos and I could continue by rebooting. Now, the scanner will Preview and allow me to set a scan area but pops the error and will not scan. Clicking the Okay button closes Scan Manager.

Searching the web turned up several mentions of this problem from 2009 or earlier but no solid solutions. One suggestion was that the USB cable is wonkie and should be replaced. The USB cable on this scanner is hardwired and not easily replaceable so I am looking for other solutions. I do not want to replace the scanner if it's possible to fix this error.

Hopefully someone here encountered this problem back in the day and remembers a solution or has a suggestion. I have done the uninstall/reinstall dance and gotten no joy.

TIA
    -Pete-

Thanks
    Well,you can try to install some new drivers for it here;http://www.driverskit.com/freedownlo...42U/14495.html
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll give this a try and let you know.
    -Pete-