New Lounger
    Thanks

WINHTTP.DLL problem after Win 7 update

I run Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Recently, after Windows Update ran, I could no longer connect to the web. All my hardware and drivers checked out fine. I could even run a VMWare guest OS on the machine that could connect to the web.

I dropped back to a previous Restore Point and all was well. Naturally, Windows Update ran again that night and the problem returned.

The only clue I have is that Dyn Updater reports that I may have a problem with WINHTTP.DLL.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    What updates did you install? WINHTTP.DLL on my Win7 x86 Ultimate is date 11/20/2010.

Joe

Thanks
    Do you have SP1 installed?
    It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them. Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:
    1. Click Start
    2. In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)
    3. At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER
    When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried your SCF suggestion. It did not find any problems. I still cannot connect.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Unfortunately, the advice than can be given will probably give you some work. That would be to restore to a known point in time where everything would be working and then install the updates one by one. Once you hit the problematic one, uninstall it and configure Windows Update not to offer it again.