Thanks

Partition Wizard question pls;

Couldn't resist price on this emachine (price of Hard drives going crazy) so bought it.

I booted to PW cd and was looking at this setup (image attached).

I imaged all 3 partitions (system) using ToDo to external drive.

I'd like to get ride of the first 2 partitions, ideas ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-11-17 at 21:16. Reason: txt issue

Thanks
    The System Reserved partition most likely includes the MBR so do a Google search for how to restore this after deleting this partition (I did and it worked fine) The first partition most likely is the recovery partition. This partition probably includes the necessary files to recreate the machine as it came from the factory.

If you create system images with any of the excellent Imaging apps mentioned in the Sec urity and Backup forum, then the factory install partition is only good to put the HD back to it's factory condition, something you will not have to do once you create Images. An Image includes not only the OS and ALL customizations you have done, but also includes all installed apps, everything on the HD in the particular partition you decide to include in the Image.

Once you know how to restore you MBR, and once you have an Image of your system, any good partitioning app will accomplish what you want. I have and use 2 such apps. Partition Wizard, and EaseUS Partition Magic (both are free or have free versions). Check them out.

If you ever want to put the HD back to factory condition (say you are getting rid of it) then keep the restore partition. I believe however there are other ways to do this, thus recovering the size of the extra partitions to use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2011-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanks TM;
    More info please!

1) I have imaged all 3 partitions as 1 image using todo, wouldn't that put everything back to like new (assuming it works)? If needed --- that is.

2) Emachine software keeps asking me to create a restore disk (well, they said 4 disks)..... but do I make it?

Thanks
    You would have to restore each partition one at a time because you have to tell the app what info to use and where to put it. If you selected all three partitions and told the app to start at the first partition for the restoration it would attempt to put all 3 into that partition which is definitely not what you want. Even restoring all 3 separately only takes about 1/2 hour, depending on the partition sizes. Mine take 10 minutes or less each. YMMV.

With good up to date Images you probably would not need the restore disk, BUT, to run a Win 7 Repair Install, the Rescue disk would be needed, but again with a good Image it is not necessary. I have never used my Win 7 Rescue disk (I did make it). I do use my Images a lot. Again YMMV and there will be many different opinions of this. At the cost of disks, why not create the Rescue Disk. Not sure why eMachines wants 4 disks????
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-18 at 12:59.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I'm just assuming but I don't think it's ness to images the first 2 partitions---- do you?

Thanks
    I suppose you could create an Image with all 3 partitions before making any changes so you have an Image of the factory setup. It would not hurt to do this. I personally did not feel this was necessary on my systems, but again that's why they call these things personal computers. In my system, I got rid of the recovery partitions (mine actually started with Vista and I custom installed Win 7) I never plan on going back to Vista. I also got rid of the system reserved partitions and repaired by MBR . This way I had just the C Drive containing Win 7.

I then partitioned my HD to move the data to a different partition. This allows me to restore my system and apps without touching the data. There are pros and cons to this.

I now have a 3rd partition that I installed the Win 8 DP into so I can dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 DP. When I create a new Image, I include both C (Win 7) and W (Win 8 DP) so I can restore either if needed. Since restoration is done outside Windows, I create the Image from my Win 7 OS. No need to install the Imaging app in Win 8 DP although I could have.

I hope this added info helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanks Ted Myers for your time & Professionalism:

Quote: ""Since restoration is done outside Windows"" do you just restore images that way -- or do you also make them outside the OS using the TI cd ?

Thanks
    I generally start creating the Image from within Windows, but could just as easily boot to the Boot Media and create the Image outside Windows. Either is just as affective.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted