New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with access to other machines on LAN

I have a small LAN with three computers active on it plus a printer, a NAS box [Network Attached Storage], and a gateway. The main computer is a Dell machine running Win7-64bit Home Premium, the two other computers are netbooks running Win7 Starter edition (32-bit). The NAS box is a Promise NS4300N which uses an MPC 8343 CPU running an embedded Linux version 01.05.0000.08. (I have no way I know of to "log into" that box to execute any Linux commands, unfortunately.) The NAS box came with several directories, but the only one I am using at present is the one they called PUBLIC and I have mapped it as the Z: drive on all of the computers on the LAN. I also note that the NAS box reports that all users automatically have full privileges on the PUBLIC directory and all subdirectories under it, or that is how I interpret what it says about this--and from the fact that it gives me a way to set privileges on the other directories, but not on that one.

I used to be able to access all of the machines on the LAN freely one from another. (I have shared the root directory of the C: drive on the two netbooks, which have no other drives, and I've shared the root directory of the principal data drive (which happens to be my E: drive) on the main machine. And all of them can access NAS box easily both to read and write anything, as well as to erase anything.

That is how it was. Or at least it is how it mostly was. I did find a curious fact, and this is my first presenting problem: There was at least one subdirectory on the NAS box where I could not erase any files from the Win7-64bit computer--but only one such subdirectory that I found in several months of using the system. I tried taking ownership of that directory and I was told I couldn't do that either. Both times the error message said I needed Administrator rights to do what I had tried to do. I was logged in as one of the Administrator group, and don't know the magic step to get more rights than that.

But after a recent Windows Update I have two new problems. First, the netbooks, which could in the past erase files in even that pesky one subdirectory on the NAS box, cannot do that now, nor can they erase files is at least some of the other subdirectories on the NAS box--maybe all of them, although I'm not sure about that.

Also, after that same Windows Update (or one near it in time) I find that while the netbooks can read and write and erase files on the Win7-64bit machine, that big computer cannot even access the netbooks any more, let alone the USB-connected external HDDs that I have attached to each netbook to expand their local storage.

Any suggestions?

If you want to talk to me about this voice-to-voice (and I would appreciate it if you think you know how to solve these problems), my phone number is 714-537-6400 and you may call me at any time day or night. If I'm here I'll happily answer the phone to discuss these problems; if I'm out, please leave a message telling me when and at what number I can call you back.

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    John,
    I don't have a direct answer to your problem, but IIRC it's a bad idea to share the root of a partition (can't for the life of me remember why).

Zig

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    The first course of action I would take would be to restore the system to the point where everything was working fine and then apply each update individually, to determine the cause for the problem. Knowing the problematic update, you'd be better equipped to handle the issue and solve it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Your solution may not be practical...

The update in question is some weeks (or maybe even months) ago, and I don't recall just when.

Certainly the initial problem I described was there from the start of my using this arrangement of machines, or even before I got the netbooks. (At that time I used an XP machine to do the writing and erasures in that special subdirectory on the NAS box.)

I might be able to do what you suggest through a long series of actions, but I was hoping someone would recognize the problems and know a direct solution rather than this roundabout approach. Even if I were to determine which update caused the problem that wouldn't solve it--unless I were to decide not to install that update. But then, it presumably did something to make me safer--which might be good thing to let it do, if I could find a way to not have it cause the problems I am having.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you check the network configuration? Is sharing still configured as before?
    Can you access the netbooks if you use their IPs?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Curious. The problem accessing the netbooks seems to have gone away on its own. (Maybe some later Windows Update undid whatever the earlier one did.)

But I still have the problems I cited in my original post when accessing the Linux-based NAS box. I can read or write (including overwriting) files to it just fine, but I cannot erase files on it from any of my computers, or at least I couldn't a day or so ago when I tried last. Again, this may or may not be true for all the subdirectories on that NAS box (there are thousands of them, so I am unwilling to do an exhaustive test), but it is true for at least a few where I really would like to be able to erase files.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't know that specific NAS, so don't really know how permissions are defined. I would look into it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't believe the issue is in the NAS box. I remind you that when I first set up the NAS box all of the subdirectories under its PUBLIC directory were fully accessible from a computer running WinXP. And when I went to my Win7-64bit computer almost all of them were still accessible, but one, at least, was only accessible for reading and writing, not for erasing. And when I added the Win7-Starter edition netbooks I had the same full access as I had had with the WinXP machine. Only recently did the netbooks lose the ability to erase files and now both those netbooks and the desktop (with Win7-64bit) have lost the ability to erase files from any subdirectory on the NAS box.

The NAS box firmware has not been upgraded any time during all of this. Windows, on the other hand, has had many updates.

I also remind you that the dialog box I see when I try to erase a file--or when I try to take ownership of a subdirectory on the NAS box (in an attempt to stop the problem)--says that I need Administrator privileges. How, besides logging in as a member of the administrator group, do I tell Windows to give me the administrator level of privileges so I can do these things?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would say the files on the NAS are managed by whatever operating system is used by the NAS. That's the way things work on every single computer I know. So, even if the NAS operating system uses information from other computers, it's still its software that handles the permissions thing.
    Have you tried Promise's support? Surely they have been faced with this situation before.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I haven't tried Promise support on this issue. I have had a lot of experience with their support for this box in the past...and I was underwhelmed. I even got the product manager involved and he more-or-less tried to help me, but in the end he wasn't a lot of help. And now that this is no longer a "hot product" for them, I have even less confidence that they will be helpful. But, I may try them again, anyway. Nothing ventured...(etc.)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would tend to agree with ruirib: the NAS will be implementing it's own permissions rather than the guest machines.

I don't know if you have used the web interface on the NS4300 to determine what is happening, but it is good a starting point. From there one is normally able to create and assign directories to users and adjust privileges.

Also, the download site for the NAS is here, it has firmware, BIOS, manuals and plugins. The plugins are useful for guest to be able to access data over a home network. There are firmware updates that may have a bearing on your problem too, but be sure to backup your data before applying any bios or firmware update as you may have to re-build the RAID after applying the update..

I also found some useful resources in Google that give indicators on how to access the root account through a telnet session.