New Lounger
    Thanks

Disaster Recovery Planning in a Dual Boot System

Background

I'm making the transition from XP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate and during this period have a dual boot system. XP was installed first, Win 7 boots first. XP & Win 7 share access to My Documents which is on its own HDD. They also share the .pst file which is on the XP system partition. I tried moving the .pst file to My Documents, but for some reason this caused problems syncing data to my smart phone/PDA. I have some legacy software which I still have on XP, but have also installed it within Win 7 using Windows Virtual PC.

Questions
    1. Does System Restore work on each system
    2. Do recovery discs work still
    3. Does imaging work
    4. How do you back up data on the virtual system
    5. When undertaking disaster recovery which system should I attempt to boot into
    6. What main considerations should I be addressing in this situation
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    1) Imaging is the GOLD STANDARD for restoration. I dual boot Win 7 Ultimate and WIn 8 DP on my laptop. I have restored both numerous times from my up to date Images (I tend to play with my OS and screw things up regularly) I will NEVER be without an up to date Image.

2) System Restore does still work, but is generally limited to system files. Won't do much for your installed apps.

3) Using an Image, you do not boot into either OS, Image Restoration is done from outside of Windows. You have to create a bootable Rescue Media or Boot media (depends on the app you use) one time. This media allows you to boot into the Imaging app, then does the restoration. I create an Image (one file) that contains both partitions (Win 7 and Win 8 DP). Each partition has to be restored separately from outside Windows.

The main considerations are the Imaging app. Win 7 does include a basic app, but many prefer the more full featured 3rd party apps. Check the many discussions in this forum for more info. Your data should be backed up separately from your Images as the data tends to change much more regularly that the OS / apps. I recreate Images whenever my system changes.

Always store your Images on separate media in case your whole HD crashes. I use an ext USB HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Two quick observations:

1. To ensure XP does not delete 7 restore points, have a look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-7-xp.html

2. VM backup - You backup the VMs when you image the host OS and (if different) the partitions where the virtual disks are stored.