2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Renaming Woes

Such a simple thing I've been doing for years, no---decades, and Win 7 is breaking it...

Copy a file into a new folder on the LAN. (Win domain, simple system). When I try to rename the file, Windows helpfully responds "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer"

How do I close the file in Windows Explorer?

The application that created the file hasn't been open in at least a week. FWIW this is an Adobe Illustrator .ai file. This problem happens randomly, but only with Adobe file types, such as .ai and .indd. Randomly, I have no trouble with this.

edit: I can open the file with Illustrator, close it and Illustrator, and still can't rename the file. Why is Windows holding my file hostage? lol
    -John
    Last edited by John-O; 2011-11-18 at 09:51.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After a restart, I can rename the file. But I can't be restarting for this kind of simple task...I have about five apps open and working and a restart to, of all simple things, rename a file, is a non-starter.

Thanks
    John,

Correct me if I'm wrong. Your trying to edit a file on one pc while that file is on another pc. If I'm correct, try copying it to the desktop, rename it, delete original (old one) then put it back to where you want.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does this happen if you open a new Explorer Window, copy the file, close Explorer Window, then open a new one and rename the file?

I have also just read this: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Surrogate-Host

Made me wonder if those files have preview handlers, since it only seems to affect them.