New Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Networking Issue - New one to me!

The whole thing started when the ISP "accidentally" changed our Static IP Address, ("It's working from this end.") A tech did come and change everything back and it immediately appeared that everything would work fine. Connected to the DSL box is a Linksys EZXS88W 8 port un-managed switch. There are four computers connected via CAT-5 to the switch, (these all reconnected to the internet immediately) and a Linksys E2000 wireless router used as an access point. The whole system is there simply for internet access, the computers are not networked, and they all share a single IP via the switch and DSL box, which has a router built in which is set to handle DHCP. I happened to have my personal laptop with me, which hadn't been connected to this network before, and tried to connect to the wireless with it and it connected fine. HOWEVER, another laptop, running WinXP, that had been used frequently before would not connect, either wired or wirelessly. It will not acquire an IP address. I have:

Repaired the connection.
    Released and renewed the IP address in ipconfig
    Reset winsock in netsh
    Ran System Restore
    Removed the network from the wireless list and allowed it to be picked back up
    Connected to a different network (which worked perfectly)

Someone else had their personal laptop, running Win7, with them, which had been connected to this network before, and it would not connect either.
    I'm stumped. If anyone has run across this before, I would love to hear their solution.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Maybe the wireless router is using a channel that the laptop cannot use? Did you check that?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Didn't think of that one. I'll check that. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    No IP implies the DHCP server is not behaving with existing entries.
    Connect to the router and remove the DHCP entry for the laptop that doesn't work. If this fixes the problem I suggest you reset all DHCP entries and re-start the machines.

cheers, Paul