Thread: Windows Mail

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Mail

Ok, I hope we have some smart people here, Fred where are you? ------ When I check my email, especially email I have "carried" over from XP, they all end up saying the same when I open them. I know, weird, strange, whew... The dates and times are different. Can anybody help?
    kbbj

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbbj View Post
    Can anybody help?
    kbbj
    Not with the limited info you gave.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What other info do you want? When I open an email and then close it and then open up a different email, etc., etc., the second, third, fourth, etc. emails say the same thing as the first email.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    What other info do you want? When I open an email and then close it and then open up a different email, etc., etc., the second, third, fourth, etc. emails say the same thing as the first email.
    kbbj,
    Hello... I think what "RR" is asking is for "Details" ..Ex: Are you running Vista now all by itself... or are you "Dual Booting"? What do you mean by "carry over" mail ...If your running Vista (using Windows Mail ) are all new E mails the same? As far as i know (i don't use Windows Mail) when i open mail from my "Yahoo" account... Doesn't matter which OS' i access it from.... XP, Vista, or "7" Just "tryin" to help out here... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I am running Vista all by itself. I am not dual booting. Yes, when I go to "Yahoo" mail, I do not have this problem. I believe it is something to do with Vista and the importing process, but I cannot fiqure out what. I have updated Vista with all the MS updates, run an up to date anti-virus and firewall and am also running Windows Defender. What I mean by "carried over" is emails I have imported from a backup of a Windows XP system. All scans show no infections. What is really bad is this has been happening since I first got this machine. It is an HP, but I don't see how that would matter. I thought I would come here just to see if anybody has heard of this before. I realize this one is very difficult to troubleshoot.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A little more detail if you could.....

Do the duplicated email all have the same title and date/time, or do they refer to other emails?

If they are the same and you are using POP, you may have left "Leave emails on server" active when importing email from the old machine - they are after all, still there on the server when you use webmail.

If you are using IMAP, you do not need to import the email from the XP machine: IMAP will mirror the email on the server automatically. If you have imported email from the XP machine, you will duplicate emails.

If they are different and refer to other unrelated emails, then I suspect you have a corruption in the email data store that may need clean-up of the account to resolve.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

The emails have the same date and time, but not the same title or subject. I am using POP and I did not check "Leave emails on server". But, that is a good thought. A couple of other points. Some emails show "Message not found". Yet when I access them on the back up hard drive, their there. Another point, some of the emails are not from a XP back-up but are from this machine, specifically, I received them since I have been using this machine. Sorry, I forgot to mention that before. Now, here another weird part, on many of my saved folders ( for example: family, friends, financial, etc.. ) this is not happening. I realize that just complicates things. I think your last sentence may be the answer if for no other reason ( although I believe that may actually be the answer, your last sentence ) I don't think I will ever figure this out. Thank you for your efforts. I appreciate it.
    kbbj

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yet when I access them on the back up hard drive, their there. .
    kbbj,
    Hello.... What exactly do you mean "access them from the backup hard drive " How did you save the E Mails ? ...EX: copy them to another HD ...Image them some how, ...and if so what method... I'm not understanding how you can access Windows Mail from a backup HD. Regards Fred

PS: OK I'm starting to understand Just fired up XP. Is this how you see your E Mail's on your "Backup HD"?

PPS: Looks like when running Vista you have to select the Format for Import \ Export. Guess XP is different than Vista...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-22 at 14:12.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)