New Lounger
    Thanks

Bit torrent and DCA notices from ISP

Every time I download torrents it automatically seeds them. Well, I get nasty grams from my ISP about DCA and copywrite. Is there either a way to turn off seeding or somehow to make myself anonymous so they don't see it?

Thanks
    Hi bpollina,

Run the test at this site, http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php After setting Utorrent as in my image.

RR.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I'd heed those letters if I were you, and cool it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your ISP is supplying you with the bits from the Internet via an I.P. address, so its the one condition where you will never be able to be anonymous.
    If one illegally taps into somebody's unprotected wireless that can be semi-anonymous.

Secondly, the whole point of torrents is to share bandwidth, so strike two!

If you have an ISP that seems very sensitive to torrent usage, they are more likely to spill the beans on you if you are downloading material illegally, not proactively maybe but if anyone asks in accordance with a court order for the purposes of suing, your ISP has the records of your activity.

If you're using torrents for totally legitimate purposes, tell your ISP to stuffit!...and then get a new ISP when they cut you loose.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The short answer is yes you can limit upload speed. I do a lot of torrents also and use uTorrent, not sure what client your using but knowing that would enable a better answer. Additionally some ISP's are very very sensitive to bit torrent clients but they should only be able to see what your download limit is and not what or who your downloading from. My ISP has a download limit of 250G a month so I keep a close eye on that.

The big thing with most torrent sites is that you need to be able to upload, thats the whole point of torrents. Its all about sharing. Most torrent sites monitor your download and upload volume and that produces your ratio and if your ratio gets to one sided toward the download side, they will block you from their site. Once again, many torrent sites like you to maintain at least a 1.0G ratio. The whole point is that you aren't just taking, that you must give back. If your downloading many Gigs of material maybe thats why your ISP is bothering you. Are they just complaining about how much your downloading or are they telling you, hey, stop downloading torrents? If thats the case they are really looking at your account closely. If they are, thats to big brother for me, I'd switch providers if one is available.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James S For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-11-23)

Thanks
    The only way one is going to get those letters from an ISP are if you are illegitimately downloading copywrited materials.
    Furthermore, ISP's are not going to do this for occasional sporatic usage, they are specifically looking for heavy users, irregardless of seed/peer ratios.

ISP's are primarily motivated by two factors:
    External
    Pressure from large copywrite holders of an infringement taking place.
    Internal
    Issues with bandwidth alocation with a specific ISP and your specific usage or bandwidth contract.

Thanks
    I tried, once, to get onto that Torrent thingy, but it just seemed to be way more complicated than need be, to just download something.

A friend that downloads tons of stuff, put me onto "Internet Download Manager" (IDM) which I've used ever since then.
    When I elect to download something, whether it's large like the Windows 8 DP, at 3.9 gig's or as small as a couple of Killobytes, IDM opens up and does the download as fast as my internet setup will permit.

Life's so much more enjoyable when you have things that Just Work.

Happy Holidays Mates!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Direct Connect (DC) hubs shared amung friends or trusted acquaintances are some of the more secured means of file sharing.