New Lounger
    Thanks

Kernel32.dll+McAfee Install

I think I may have a problem with the kernel32.dll. I was trying to install Mafee Internet Security and the installer program quit and indicated a problem with this this dll. What is the most recent version of this dll for XP Sp3. The version installed on my computer is 5.1.2600.5781
    PS. My computer does not appear to have any other problems.
    Thanks, Sam

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I wouldn't really trust McAfee about anything. If you need a paid security app, you're probably best getting a decent one, not McAfee. Also, unless you have other issues, which you seem not to have, do not take McAfee word on kernel32.dll.

Thanks
    McAfee has lost a lot of support over the last couple of years, both in personal and corporate environments. As Rui states, do not trust McAfee. Just my 2 cents.

If you don't mind not having to spend money (free is so nice) check out MSE by MS. Very well respected and used by many here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sam, to answer your question: On a clean and stable XP Home SP3 machine here, kernel32.dll is also at version 5.1.2600.5781.

To add some background to ruirib's comment about it being an issue with McAfee: kernel32.dll is one of the core components (arguably the core component) in Windows. Windows will not run if kernel32.dll has been compromised or is otherwise bad. You would know if McAfee was correct that there was a problem with the dll because the system would be highly unstable and probably unusable. Hence ruirib is right: if you have no other indications of problems, the issue with with McAfee rather than kernel32.dll.

Like Ted, I also prefer Microsoft Security Essentials and recommend it as a good (and free) alternative.

Thanks
    x3

McAfee stopped being a viable Anti-Virus program several years ago. I use the McAfee Removal tool, to remove it wherever I find it.

Just for the record, NO one program can keep you 100% SAFE. That's why I use a 'package' of Security Software, from different vendors to keep me and my hundreds of customers completely safe from Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Rootkits, Adware and Spyware.

As I've said so many times before on so many forums, "The best Security Software in the world is 100% FREE!"

Just a few names that I know, use and trust, , , AVG 2012 FREE, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster (just upgraded to ver. 4.5), Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware. All are great programs and all are free, but, not one will find and remove Everything.

Be Safe and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-01 at 13:01.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    @DrWho
    Can you give us your complete scenario of what you do ??

a 'package' of Security Software, from different vendors to keep me and my hundreds of customers completely safe from Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Rootkits, Adware and Spyware.