Lounger
    Thanks

C: drive is missing 61 Gigs.

I have a small 300G hard drive which I want to replace with a 1T drive. There's an issue. Using Properties, the drive reads 246 Gig. My documents folder is 112G, Programs folder is 62G, Windows (XP) is 9G, and a "page file" file of 1.6G. The few other files on the C: drive are tiny (1 K at most). That's only 185G but the drive is nearly full. What's taking up the extra 61 Gigs?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows puts many things on hard drive in back ground. Most common is the system restore points which it adds to every time some changes occur on computer.

You could right click on your "C" drive in my computer select "Properties" then click "Disk clean up". When box has finished loading then tick all boxes then select "more options" tab. Click on "cleanup button in system restore area then click Ok to everything. This will remove all but the last restore point. Will need to do this on a regular basis to maintain disk storage.

You can also turn off system restore by control panel - system - system protection ( in side panel) - select the "configure" button. You can either turn off restore points or limit the size it can use on hard drive. If you do regular disk imaging system restore is less needed so can be turned off to save disk space.

Hope this helps

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You could try an app like Tree Size free to find out what is taking the space.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The Recycle Bin could be holding a lot on that drive. Empty it and you may regain most of the space.